1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Favourite kit bought this year

Discussion in 'General Equipment Chat & Advice' started by Nigel_Atherton, Nov 8, 2019.

1. Mark101

Mark101 Well-Known Member

Austerity, Brexit, Potential Recession, Boris Johnson, Corbyn, Farage ! All my cash is being saved for a fake Italian Passport and plastic surgery so that I can take the place of a Guard on the Paris - Milan overnight sleeper.

2. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

Wise words...

3. peterba

peterba Well-Known Member

Yes, I really do 'get' that, Mark. :(

4. swanseadave

swanseadave Well-Known Member

A Tamron 90mm f2.5.Tripod mounted it`s razor sharp across the whole frame.
    An amazing lens.Being a macro the focus range is very long so having a focus limiter really helps.

5. Michael Smith

Michael Smith Member

I have an 80D + 18-135MM F/3.5-5.6 IS USM lens that I am super happy with!

6. Nigel_Atherton

Nigel_Atherton Group Editor

Looks very interesting. Can I ask how much you paid for it?

7. Nigel_Atherton

Nigel_Atherton Group Editor

Do you mind revealing how much you paid for this? Was it from a dealer or a private seller?

8. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

Hi Nigel - the Hasselblad kit was bought from MPB - with nothing but praise for the service, the way the equipment was described, how it was packed and the timeliness of the delivery. The overall price for the camera and lens was a shade over £2200 (with the lens being more expensive than the body). There were also a few bits in the box that weren't mentioned on the MPB web site when I bought it - all-round brand new body caps, new strap, new eyecup and 120 quids worth of brand new Hasselblad 105mm UV filter!

I've wanted to own an Hasselblad ever since I was in primary school, when my dad made a Dymo tape 'Hasselblad' label and stuck it on the front of my Kodak Instamatic 33 (because I wanted the same sort of camera they used on the Moon). I had a serious think about whether to buy a classic film model, knowing that a second-hand decent-condition camera and lens is well into four figures. Eventually I decided to go for digital because I knew I'd use it more, and the amount of use and enjoyment I've got out of it so far is going a long way towards justifying the price I paid for it.

Cheers, Jeff

Last edited: Nov 12, 2019
  9. John Farrell

John Farrell Well-Known Member

I bought it on a local online auction site for $NZ100.

10. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

Sorry to be boring, but my answer is similar to last year: my only photography expenditure this year has been my AP subscription, and a few prints from CEWE. The hardware I have is more than adequate for my requirements and I don't believe that 'upgrading' it will 'improve' my photography.

11. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

Why not use some editing software to add the 'missing' camera to the image afterwards?

12. pixelpuffin

pixelpuffin Well-Known Member

Well, I purchased loads of stuff this year - partly because I sold it all a few years back to clear all debts when we voted to leave. Didn’t fancy getting caught out of a job and having home loans, car loans, overdrafts, credit cards etc etc not to mention the mortgage- so EVERYTHING was sold and all debts cleared. Since then I’ve been picking stuff up at an alarming rate.
    By far the best has been the canon 35mm f2.8 IS STM Macro, bought used (mint,boxed) it is stunning. I love using it. Otherwise I’ve just mostly replicated stuff I previously sold.

13. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

This year bought a Fuji X T 30... Love it
    Bought a Samyang 7.5 MFT fisheye, and converted it with a NN X mount and Ring foot to pair with my XE2 and Nodal Ninja R20 rotator mount For 360x180 images.
    I also bought numerous Photo nick nacks and a new Canon MG5750 all in one printer... all about par for the course.

Picked up a couple more smaller camera bags from charity shops. (one small Lowepro to hold the 360x180 kit all in one place) the other to hold the X T 30 two lenses, two small Fuji Ef x20 flashes, and monopod QR mount adapter Etc.
    I like to keep complete kits in grab bags good to go. So I have a further one to hold my X30 kit.

I have no new kit on my wish list for next year, but might invest in more software including PTGui pro.
    though if a decent light, medium sized tripod legs, come up for grabs, I might invest.....

14. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

If that is anything to go by, your dad rocked, Jeff.

Fishboy likes this.
  15. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

My son in Law a GP suggested last night that we all sell up and move to the highlands and Islands.
    Just might???? that or Ireland, I at least qualify for an Irish passport.

16. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

I've bought quite a lot of mostly smallish stuff, but i did buy a EOS R and RF24-105 earlier this year that I just love.
    Other thing that I really love is a Samyang 8mm f2. fisheye for my EOS M kit. Entirely manual, which isn't in any way an issue for a fisheye, and surprisingly sharp, it's rather transformed what I think of that kit as a whole.

17. DaveM399

DaveM399 Well-Known Member

Main purchase this year was a Z6 with 24-70 and FTZ adapter to use some of the F mount lenses I have (those that I have tried work well). I then added the 14-30 Z mount lens. It's early days, but so far I am pleased with the Z kit.

18. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

Seems to be a very good price based on current used prices although I don’t suppose there are many available for sale.

Fishboy likes this.
  19. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

My favourite kit purchased this year is far more mundane, but I really like my Canon EF 85mm 1.8 USM lens, great for portraits with blurred backgrounds and my Fuji XT2 which was selling at a very low price in a Fuji offer. I still prefer DSLRs but the Fuji is very good.

20. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

I really like my old Fuji XT-1 and X-Pro1 - the Fuji lenses (even the 'kit' lenses) have great optical qualities, so I reckon that the X-T2 or X-T3 will give even better results.

Cheers, Jeff

Bazarchie likes this.