1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Favourite kit bought this year

Discussion in 'General Equipment Chat & Advice' started by Nigel_Atherton, Nov 8, 2019 at 7:31 PM.

1. Nigel_Atherton

Nigel_Atherton Group Editor

It's that time of year when we ask readers to tell us their favourite item of photo kit they have bought this year. It can be new or secondhand, it can be a camera, lens, accessory, even a book. Tell us in a couple of sentences why you bought it/like it, and if you've got a picture of it, even better! We'll publish a selection in our Christmas issue, which we're working on right now. Thanks!

2. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Pretty sure I didn't purchase any photo kit this year. Not even consumables (still working through previous supplies). If it ain't broke, as the saying goes. :)

peterba and daft_biker like this.
  3. peterba

peterba Well-Known Member

I wish I could say the same! No digital stuff, but I did lash out on a couple of cheap(-ish) film cameras.

4. RobertCoombes

RobertCoombes Well-Known Member

Nikon D750 kit. Not had much chance to use it as wife taken ill and now in hospital. It feels just like my D70; I have a D90 but we never got on.

5. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I'm a bit hazy about year boundaries these days. I paid a fortune to fix my camera which is regret expenditure.
    I did buy a lens pen, cleaning fluid and lens tissues having seemingly vanished from the shops.

peterba likes this.
  6. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

That's the reason I say pretty sure. Last photographic expense I recall was printing/framing a 20x24" pinhole photo for exhibition spring last year. I was given a stack of film so still working my way through that and my existing stock, and no need to expand my digital kit either.

peterba likes this.
  7. peterba

Only year boundaries, Pete? You're doing well!
    I seem to be hazy about most things, these days. :(

8. peterba

Hope she's doing Ok, Robert.

daft_biker and RogerMac like this.
  9. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

Sending good wishes.

10. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I was going to say I hadn't bought any kit this year but in fact I bought a Billingham Hadley One, an Epson ET2600 printer, which has a story attached, and a third party MH26 battery charger (EN-EL18) with an adaptor for EN-EL4 batteries.

Favourite, the Hadley One which is all I wanted in a bag of that size, it was supposedly used but didn't look it and appeared as new. I got a D4, 24-70 and 70-200 in the main compartment, spare batteries in one pocket and a MacBook charger in the other with a MacBook Pro in the back and still had room for an iPad, card readers, spare cards and some cables. Ideal travelling bag.

The printer was originally Mum's but she saw the next model up, which has an SD card reader, and wanted one of those as her camera uses SD cards so I bought the ET2650 and took her ET2600 in exchange. It's a good printer and a full set of inks comes to £29 for a year's supply much cheaper than my R800 which takes 8 cartridges at well over £100 a set and they don't last very long at all.

I bought the charger and adaptor because it cost considerably less than buying a genuine Nikon adaptor.

11. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Hope she is home with you soon

daft_biker likes this.
  12. EightBitTony

I guess we're a cheapskate bunch. I bought a second hand EOS M50 but only a couple of weeks ago, so hard to call favourite. I bought the 40mm EF pancake, but haven't really used it (again, two weeks ago). I can't remember when I bought the EF 16-35 f/4 L. It's gorgeous, and I'd saved up the pennies so bought it new, but I haven't really exercised it enough to justify it.

13. EightBitTony

Unrelated: I was going to take a photo of all my kit for that feature in the mag, but then I couldn't work out what camera to leave out so I could take the photo. Also there's no clean floorspace in the house so that is a problem too.

14. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I'd edit that to read clear floorspace

15. EightBitTony

I wrote the word I intended to write.

daft_biker likes this.
  16. Nigel_Atherton

Nigel_Atherton Group Editor

I think most people use their phone to take the photo of their kit. If its a reasonable smartphone the picture quality will be good enough for the size its used at.
    I cant help you with the floor though. ;-)

EightBitTony likes this.
  17. John Farrell

John Farrell Well-Known Member

It would have to be this

IMG_4341s.jpg
    The shutter works at the faster speeds, and the handling is madly quirky. It even came with an additional 135mm Domigor lens.

Fishboy, steveandthedogs and gray1720 like this.
  18. RobertCoombes

RobertCoombes Well-Known Member

19. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

The only pieces of photographic kit I've bought so far this year are a used Olympus OM-2 (sold as 'broken' - guess what effect fitting a battery had on it!) and...

The Beast - a used Hasselblad H3D-39 and a HCD 35-90mm lens.

The non-photographic purchase was the wheelbarrow I use to carry it around in!

For comparison, here's my Fuji X-T1, Nikon D3 and The Beast all side by side for comparison:

Three Cameras.jpg

The Hasselblad has been a real eye-opener. The native ISO of the sensor is 50 and by the time you've taken the ISO up to 400 the noise makes it almost unuseable, however at ISO50 or ISO100 the results I can get from it are really pleasing. Considering the camera was designed primarily for studio work, my habit of lugging it about for landscape and even street photography means that I'm using it well outside its intended niche, but guess what? I don't care - I'm really enjoying using it!

Here are a few examples of what I've been using it for:

[​IMG]11092019 by Jeff Johnson, on Flickr

[​IMG]SA005 by Jeff Johnson, on Flickr

[​IMG]man006 by Jeff Johnson, on Flickr

[​IMG]man004a by Jeff Johnson, on Flickr

[​IMG]HH08 by Jeff Johnson, on Flickr

[​IMG]wat011 by Jeff Johnson, on Flickr

Cheers, Jeff

20. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

I think my only photographic purchase this year has been... yet another box camera! That makes about 25 of the things I have (a few, such as the Voigtlander Brillant and the Coronet Dynamic 12, possibly push the definitions a bit). I think I need to get out more... Anyway, I'm glad to see I'm not the only person with a hankering for the wacky Pentina - though, if I really wanted another camera with a Prestor shutter I'd pick a late Flexaret.

Here's my latest box - a relatively uncommon pre-WW2 Ensign Ful-Vue.
    [​IMG]Ensign Ful-Vue by gray1720, on Flickr