1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fatty, sugary breakfast

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Roger Hicks, Aug 14, 2017.

1. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

If anything can be more disgusting its yet to be discovered.....

Coupled with Fosters lager, that and Vegemite say an awful lot about Aussie taste buds.....

2. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

It's unusual to see the words 'Australian' and 'taste' occur in a sentence that doesn't also contain the words 'lack of'.

Cheers, Jeff

3. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

I loathe Marmite so I expect I wouldn't care for Vegemite much and I believe I have expressed in another thread that I think a Fosters shandy is a waste of lemonade- if it's the only lager on in a pub I either drink something else or leave

I'm reminded of a certain morning after in 2010. We were going to a gig and Dave reminded me "We've got a big day tomorrow (this was the eve of the High Voltage festival) so we mustn't drink San Miguel"

Next morning Dave groans "Why did we drink San Miguel?"
    "It was that or Fosters"
    "Fair enough that makes sense"

4. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Yep, no-one chooses low salt in a taste test. These are deeply embedded survival responses......even if now they lead you to not survive.

Catriona likes this.
  5. PhotoEcosse

PhotoEcosse Well-Known Member

One has a very expensive little red disc; the other doesn't.

Wot? No haggis, tattie scone and grilled tomato?

Catriona likes this.
  6. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Be fair, for the extra couple of hundred quid the LF1 equivalent would have cost, you got a longer guarantee period, a slightly different case and a copy of Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5.

Oh, and bragging rights of course... ;)

7. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

IIRC Vegemite is the more palatable version in Australia/NZ, and whatever they call Marmite down there is a pale imitation of its UK self. If this was Wikipedia it would be marked 'citation required' but I can't be bothered to do the legwork. ;)

8. John Farrell

John Farrell Well-Known Member

When I was a kid, back in the 50s, there was a rumour that that Marmite, because it was made by Seventh Day Adventists, contained meat products. This was to make catholics sin, by eating meat on Fridays. I don't know if this is why my parents bought Vegemite......

9. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

Antipodean Marmite has a different recipe to the real thing. Most notably it contains sugar and caramel.

10. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Given that we would all be healthier if we could get away from sweetened foods I am not sure I would be any good to blind testers.

11. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Nope. Andouilette.

The author flatters it.

Cheers,

R.

12. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

I have Swedish relations and the foulest smelling food I've ever encountered was Surströmming - fermented Baltic Sea herring.

13. Roger Hicks

Dear Rog,

Obviously the ideal fish course before andouillette as a meat course, possibly with durian fruit as dessert.

Cheers,

R.

14. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

Having read the link you posted Roger I think you may have a point.....

15. Roger Hicks

To be fair I have never tried Vegemite. Then again, the first time I tried andouille it wasn't too bad. Now I can't get it within a foot of my nose. I understand that there are regional variations, but even so...

Cheers,

R.

16. willie45

willie45 Well-Known Member

I'm afraid I'm not that keen on haggis or tattle scones. Grilled tomato, yes that's a good shout and I'd include that, probably even above mushrooms

17. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

I dare anyone to try a fox colon sausage!:D

18. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

I adore haggis but have only ever had the leftovers for breakfast...mixed into leftover mashed potato/swede mix and fried as 'haggis rissoles'. Delicious!

PhotoEcosse likes this.
  19. MickLL

MickLL Well-Known Member

Try Cambodian Prahok (fermented mudfish).

MickLL

20. DaveM399

DaveM399 Well-Known Member

Do you get arrested for that if caught? :D