1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fatty, sugary breakfast

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Roger Hicks, Aug 14, 2017.

1. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

This morning, I had a breakfast with few nutrients except fat and sugar. But it's all right: it was middle class fat and sugar, real made-in-Greece Greek yogurt and crystallized South American honey.

Who else detects a certain element of hard-to-defend class warfare in which foods are praised or condemned?

Cheers,

R.

Zou, Catriona and TheFatControlleR like this.
  2. TheFatControlleR

TheFatControlleR :Devil's Advocaat: Forum Admin

I suspect there's more than a grain of food snobbery passed off as health consciousness in some quarters.

However, there is fine food and there's everything else. ;)

Zou, Roger Hicks and Benchista like this.
  3. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

Fat, sugar and carbs here. Slightly unusual breakfast for me to be honest, but locally produced and handmade oatcakes, cheese and mango/chilli jam all purchased at the Summer Festival this weekend and burning a hole in my fridge.

Food and class are inextricably bound I'd have thought - from what you buy/eat, to where you buy, and where it has come from, to how you pronounce it...all markers. And actually, not just food. I was chatting to a stallholder who sold 'artisanal' candles and suchlike and she was telling me about how the packaging she used was entirely biodegradeable and so on and so forth. But of course, this added to the cost and she said that while she was doing everything she could to avoid plastic, you shouldn't make people feel bad if they could only afford a plastic wrapped candle from poundland. On the one hand I took her point, but on the other I was interested in her somewhat stereotypical view of someone less well-off's shopping habits.

Roger Hicks likes this.
  4. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

So true!
    I love the made in Greece Greek yogurt I can get at the Co-op. I also love a good honey to go with it. Very tasty, but as you indicate, probably just as bad for me as would be a sugary cereal for breakfast.
    I console myself with the fact that I seldom eat meat any more, so that must be good for me!

Yes, there is definitely a perception that some foods are acceptably 'better' than other varieties - although when 'deconstructed' they are every bit as 'bad' for us.

Roger Hicks likes this.
  5. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

Also, as part of her degree work last year, a collegue did a project about sugar, our intake of it, the health concerns, and the way it is marketed to us. She was comparing the sugar content of various products and making graphic representations of this, but what really fascinated me was the comments I heard from visitors to the degree show. This wasn't part of her project (could develop into part of one of mine though) but people assumed that traditionally 'middle class' brands were better for them - I heard "Well, I just thought because it was Marks and Spencer it would okay" about ten times in an hour!

EightBitTony and Roger Hicks like this.
  6. Roger Hicks

Well, sort of. But a lot depends on where you come from/ how you were brought up/ what's available. The finest bread in the world is Maltese hobz but the stuff from the next village to where I live in rural France is pretty good too, and when I lived in Bristol, I used to go to David Herbert's: if I can't get good bread, I don't eat bread. So: bread can be "fine food"!

Cheers,

R.

TheFatControlleR likes this.
  7. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Lost as to what makes Greek style yog middle classed? It was a window of opportunity for Greek exporters opened up by the movement of people like Muller into more and more syrupy fruit favours as demanded by less health-conscious consumers. Then copied by local brands.

8. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

Calcium and other minerals, assorted fat-soluble vitamins, proteins, various anti-biotics in the honey...

S

9. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

There are 1.3 billion people who live in extreme poverty and 22,000 children die each day due to the starvation this causes. In a world like that anything that doesn't actually kill you is fine food in my opinion.

Brian and steveandthedogs like this.
  10. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

The old joke goes something like, "abstaining from wine, women and song won't make you live longer but it will feel like it"'
    Aside from avoiding excess, you might just as well eat what you like because various reports have both praised and condemned pretty much every food we eat.

11. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

Marketing, I expect.

When I was a child we had homemade yoghurt. (I remember thinking it vile at the time. I preferred raspberry Ski. In my defence, I was five.) Making your own yoghurt was not the norm among our friends and family. In all likelihood it was cheap though and as such I can see why my mother insisted on it. However, like picking your own fruit in season, and knitting your own sweaters from recycled wool and peeing on the veg plot at night, things that people used to do because they had to, have become 'trendy' simply because nowadays most people don't do it; as such they have acquired a certain cachet among the hipster class. Hipsters have a lot to answer for.

12. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

Not only that but the foods that are praised and condemned change over a period, eggs being one such.

Catriona likes this.
  13. Catriona

The finest bread for me was a Bedouin shepherd's bread http://cookingwiththebible.com/reader/Default.aspx/GR3410-1874/recipe/ . The next best I have tasted recently was a Baltic white loaf, bloomer-style. Both tasted good, which is more than most mass produced bread does these days!

14. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

Warburton's white, medium sliced is my preference for fish finger and cheese butties.

Cheers, Jeff

15. Roger Hicks

Dear Steve,

Yes, they're all there, but quite honestly, they are in near-homeopathic quantities as compared with the fairies at the bottom of the jar.

Cheers,

R.

Catriona likes this.
  16. Roger Hicks

Dear Andrew,

Not really, no. It doesn't matter how poor you are: there's a big difference between what you eat to survive, and food you enjoy.

Cheers,

R.

17. Roger Hicks

Dear Kate,

Sounds delicious and interesting but hopelessly vague and pretentious: camel's milk cheese is a bit hard to come by where I live, and "fresh olives" is pretty meaningless: they have to be treated in one way another to make them edible.

Cheers,

R.

18. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

Chuck some flour, yeast, water, sugar, milk powder, salt in the Kenwood Chef for 6-10 minutes, put it in a pan in the airing cupboard for 5 hours (including knocking it back and re-proving) then put it in the oven til crisp on the outside.
    Going to do that in a few minutes actually.:)

Catriona likes this.
  19. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

I have a fondness for a particular kind of hard, chewy bread roll the name of which I know not. Pret a Manger sells them with butter, ham and a tiny little piquant pickle. If I could only have some ripe homegrown tomatoes on the side that would constitute a fine, fine meal in my book.

Catriona likes this.
  20. Catriona

Actually, since starting baking again, I do find flour quality and taste differ quite a lot brand to brand! I was surprised, since I didn't think my taste buds were so selective nowadays. Anyone else notice different flour tastes?