1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Faststone for MAC

Discussion in 'Computer Related Help & Discussion' started by velocette, Apr 18, 2018.

1. velocette

velocette Well-Known Member

A friend asked me to recommend a free image viewer and manipulator for his MAC and I recommended Faststone as I've seen it mentioned many times by Forum members. He tells me however it's for PC's only so does anyone have a recommendation for a MAC alternative. Any help much appreciated...

Peter

2. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

He doesn't need one. Preview is built in and can do fairly sophisticated editing.

3. velocette

velocette Well-Known Member

It's a few years old 27" one and it seems that what he originally used is now not functioning and he''s unable to update.

4. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

What is the operating system version? Although I haven't installed the latest update (High Sierra) the backwards compatibility goes back quite a few years, my 2012 computer is OK for it. If the computer dates before Mac changed to Intel processors there will be a problem. The only free program I installed is GIMP but I wouldn't call it easy to use.

5. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

The GIMP is fine but on my 2011 MacBook Pro takes ages, and several attempts, to open properly. Some of the images produced using it are still flying on 787-9s I think.

6. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

It seems that The Gimp isn't available for MacOS, probably why my copy took ages to open, so I have deleted it. Still good if you are using an earlier OS.

7. PeteRob

The prebuilt binaries are probably only available for recent OS X versions. If it opened on your macbook, albeit slowly, it may be because it needs more processing power/memory. It takes absolutely ages to load on my imac while it goes and gathers stuff but runs OK.

8. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

The website says The Gimp is only available for OS X but is not compatible with Mac OS (Sierra and High Sierra) as I am running Sierra it isn't compatible. It ran properly with Yosemite but I didn't use it with El Capitane so no idea how it works with that. The computer it was on isn't short of resources; it has 16GB RAM despite Apple saying it should only run 8GB and an early i7 processor which exceeds the spec required for the version I was running.

9. PeteRob

Sierra is OS X 10.12 and High Sierra OS X 10.13 (I think). I'm running Sierra and had no problems. I just looked at the GIMP pages (they got confused because this is an ipad and sent me to a text only page) and I think GIMP 2.8 will run in anything later than OS X 10.7

MacOs and OS X are interchangeable names.

Seems that Windows are now using names for their updates - Windows 10 Creators Edition, Windows 10 redsomethingIforget is now being rolled out globally since last month.

10. PeteRob

As a follow up I see that Gimp 2.10 was released 2/3 weeks ago and it is this that has not yet got an installer for mac. Last time Imlooked 2.8 was the release version. Reading the 2.10 description it sounds like they lifted the restriction on 8 bit colour and allowed more options for interfacing with raw files.

11. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Not having The Gimp isn’t a problem as I use Nikon Capture NX2 as my main editor. It was useful when I was creating location images for some software but that was all I used it for. If I need it again I will have another look in the hope that there is a Sierra compatible version.

12. PeteRob

Gimp is compatible with Sierra. But no-one has yet built a one-click install binary for the brand new version 2.10 on OS-X. Until then it has to be done through macports - a mac is a unix computer after all - but it is not for the faint hearted. For one-click install on Sierra you have to use Gimp 2.8. The stable releases are 2.8, 2.10. There are no intermediates that I can see. When I am home I'll see if I still have the install binary in downloads, there are many .dmg files listed on the Gimp site and off-hand I can't tell you which is the latest.

13. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I have been back to the web site and you are correct, I was misreading the page or, more accurately, not reading it at all!
    I won't be reinstalling The Gimp though as I currently don't need it.