1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Farewell Cassini!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Footloose, Sep 22, 2017.

1. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

The great wanderer has met its demise, but I feel that the stunning images it took and sent back here, deserve mentioning since the sensor being used was only 1024x1024 or 1.04 Mp ... I'm guessing this was probably produced by Kodak, as this is very similar (and if so, vastly better made) to those which were fitted in the first Nikon-bodied Kodak dslrs? Further info on the Cassini cameras, can be found here, plus of course, some of the images it took:

http://ciclops.org/iss/iss.php

steveandthedogs likes this.
  2. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Photographer in pub - "My new camera cast £2,500". ESA engineer next to him - "very reasonable. Mine cost $3.26 billion".

3. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

I enjoyed watching - so much that I had missed over the years. Who else here can remember playing the early Programmable Texas Calculator games - moon lander, or whatever it was called? I soon learnt that I would never make a rocket pilot.

4. Footloose

Considering Cassini's cameras were that small, and yet the images generated so detailed, are the cameras we are currently using, short-changing us on image quality?

5. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

Many of the Cassini images are mosaics.

6. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

And you ask what did the Romans do for us....

steveandthedogs likes this.
  7. Footloose

I knew that, but I suppose my view is based on not taking into account, just how many individual images there are in each mosaic makes them look as good as they are.