1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FAO Glasses Wearers

Discussion in 'Help Team' started by Mexxy, Mar 13, 2012.

1. Mexxy

Mexxy Well-Known Member

I use a Nikon D3000 and I wear glasses all the time (not just for reading etc) - I find the viewfinder on my camera quite difficult to use at times (keep smashing my glasses or nose into it!)

My camera doesn't have Live View sadly which would have been a huge help - is there another way I can work around this (such as an add-on window for Live View, extendedViewfinder or similar)?

2. Fen

Fen <span style="font-weight: bold; color: #AF7817;">L

Live view is only really any good when doing still life as you can't hold your camera are arms length to see what you are photographing due to the size of the camera!

There are various accessories/adaptors you can get. Do a google for Nikon and eyepieces, that would probably lead you in the right direction.

3. MickLL

MickLL Well-Known Member

Forgive me asking the obvious and making a reply that may be no help at all.;);)

What about just getting used to using the camera while wearing glasses?

That's not an idle comment it's based on experience. I've just begun to wear glasses all the time. I had my viewfinder correction set for my eyes without glasses and ended up having to remove my specs all the time. I'd drop them in the grass, kneel on them and forget them.

I decided to alter the viewfinder correction to allow me to view with my glasses on. at first it was a right royal pain - but now I've got used to it there's no issue.

MickLL

4. Fen

Fen <span style="font-weight: bold; color: #AF7817;">L

That's what I do.

5. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Because that's what she's saying she can't do, perhaps?

6. MickLL

MickLL Well-Known Member

Maybe she isn't saying that - maybe she's saying that it's difficult to use at times.

MickLL

7. beejaybee

beejaybee Marvin

Simple solution, get a lanyard that attaches to the ear "hooks" on the specs. Just let the specs dangle round your neck when you're not using them. Works pretty well for me. The only time I broke a pair of glasses, I had them "parked" on the top of the back of the sofa, they fell down onto the seat and I rolled over them whilst napping.

Better solution, possibly, get your viewfinder eye lasered for "infinity". Costs money though. In fact some people get one eye lasered for infinity, the other for 40 cm (reading distance) and claim to manage without glasses at all. Wouldn't work for me, actually this is not far off the way may eyes are naturally, the unbalance gives me a whanging headache ... but it's a far safer solution than varifocals.

8. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

I don't know about Nikon, but Canon sell a viewfinder extender for precisely this purpose - maybe Nikon do?

9. Old git

Old git In the Stop Bath

10. rjbell

rjbell Well-Known Member

11. Mexxy

Mexxy Well-Known Member

It's not so much that I can't see out of the viewfinder, when I'm not crushing my face into the camera to see through it everything looks fine - it's just a bit awkward at times and I find it a little uncomfortable. I'll see if I can find some kind of eye cup or something that will make it a little easier to rest my face against it.

And yes, I'm a laaady :p

12. beejaybee

beejaybee Marvin

The Canon version is a dead loss IHMO. Seems to distort the image and certainly makes it smaller. Definitely not on my reccomended list!

13. Jacqui Jay

Jacqui Jay Grasshopper's Sage

Still the best answer, speaking from experience.
    Similarly, when I had varifocals for the first time, I thought I'd never adjust to them but was comfortable with them within a week.
    Probably worth persevering, Mexxy.

14. Bawbee

Bawbee Well-Known Member

Just to express a different point of view (pardon the pun) - I use the EP-EX15 on all my camera bodies.

15. Roy5051

Roy5051 Well-Known Member

I seem to remember, about two years ago, there was a LCD device that clipped on to the SLR viewfinder to give a "live view" through the viewfinder; is it still available, I wonder?

16. Old git

Old git In the Stop Bath

That looks pretty good!

17. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

Even without glasses your nose would still contact the rear of the camera, it goes with the territory. As has been stated liveview would not really be a benefit, a viewfinder is, to me anyway, one of the good points of dslr cameras. You should be able to become accustomed to using the viewfinder with glasses, if you can't the adjustment should get you somewhere near to your vision.

18. IvorETower

IvorETower Little Buttercup

I now wear specs most of the time (instead of contact lenses) and manage OK with a D5000 and D5100. Maybe it just takesa bit of perseverance and getting used to ?

19. beejaybee

beejaybee Marvin

Yeah, some people seem to like the thing ... my advice is try before you buy; it's not expensive, but if you buy one and then find you loathe it as much as I do, it's a waste of money that would buy a decent bottle of wine or a whole bottle of mouthwash quality whiskey.

20. Bob Maddison

Bob Maddison Well-Known Member

The real problem when wearing glasses is that your eye is then too far from the viewfinder. The "eye relief" does vary with the camera but is mostly designed for non spectacle wearers. When you wear spectacles, your eye is too far from the lens and will reduce the Field of View, especially the view finder information display might be difficult to see. Unfortunately, the suggestion to use some form of supplementary eye cup wouldn't work as it puts your eye even further from the lens thus reducing your field of view even more and making it even more difficult to use. The only benefit from an eye cup in these circumstances is that it might perhaps cushion the VF better than none at all. I'm not familiar with your camera, but many have a removeable cushioned eye piece surround (hardly an eye cup). Taking this off sometimes helps get your eye closer to the lens when wearing specs. The problem is exactly the same as a binocular, most of which do have some sort of fold down eye cup to help glasses wearers.

I wear spectacles (varifocals) all the time and don't have too much problem with my Sony A700, nor with earlier Minolta film and digital SLRs all of which have a useable eye relief even with the standard soft eye cup. However, for really critical work, I do sometimes take my specs off and re adjust the VF dioptre. Mostly I just wear my specs and accept that I might not always get a full field of view unless I move my head a little. You just get used to it!