1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fan Post Purge elpp !!!!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Kamepa, May 10, 2013.

1. Kamepa

Kamepa Well-Known Member

What does it all mean, the central heating comes on for no reason and comes up with Fan Post Purge and there is nothing in the manual to say it is not a fault condition. Just had new boiler and I don't know :)

2. NosamLuap

NosamLuap Rebmem Roines

The central heating comes on, or the boiler comes on? Fan post purge suggests it's running the fan to purge something (gases?) after being lit - possibly it was lit to supply hot water, and then the fan kicks in afterwards. My google-fu suggests it's quite normal...

3. Kamepa

Kamepa Well-Known Member

Thanks for that I was a tad jumpy there, having kittens, as it only been fitted yesterday :)

4. NosamLuap

NosamLuap Rebmem Roines

Bear in mind I am qualified in nothing but bluffing based on internet searches!!! Plumbing is not my strong point :)

5. Kamepa

Kamepa Well-Known Member

Don't we all base our lives on web searches. Being a dog owner I prefer this search engine

http://www.dogpile.co.uk/

dogpiled instead of googled or as in gimped instead of photoshoped :)

Done some more research and you was correct. The manual says nothing except it is one of the messages it displays. No insight whatsoever into what it means. But then I may be one dumb individual D'oh! :)

6. thornrider

thornrider In the Stop Bath

Who's boiler is it ?

This is a fault condition. A fan fault.

Not a techie but just retired from a central heating boiler manufacturer.

7. Kamepa

Kamepa Well-Known Member

No you having me on :)

It is a ideal logic + Combi 30 thingy. Looking at the manual again it says "Fan Post Purge" display functions in normal operation. Actually first time I looked at the manual properly it has a separate page with fault conditions which makes no mention of "Fan Post Purge".

I am now more worried about the bar meter going below 1 it appears to be sinking so might need topping up a tad.

8. Tooslow

Tooslow Well-Known Member

If the boiler has just been fitted why not bend the ear of whoever fitted it if you have a serious concern?

If Thornrider has just retired from a boiler manufacturing company then, after saying "congratulations", we have to ask "what did you do?". If he was in the boiler design dept. or the training people to service boilers dept. then he has credibility. If, on the other hand, he was in accounts...

John

9. thornrider

Pressure below 1 bar with it being very new means a water leak somewhere in the system - should only need a top-up about once per year.

No - not having you on.

10. Kamepa

Kamepa Well-Known Member

I was concerned as it came on for no apparent reason. But now I researched it and have a better understanding of the manual I am OK with it. As for Thornrider yes congratulations on your retirement I am also one of the OAP. But hey I retired 11 years ago at the right old age of 42. I know you won't believe that one :)

11. Kamepa

Kamepa Well-Known Member

They told me yesterday that if it does go bellow bar 1 that it is easy to top up. It is hovering around the 1 and when the heating was on was around or above bar 1.5. Also I think looking at the manual it will give an error message and stop working if the pressure drops beyond certain limits.Anyway looks as if there might have been some residual air in the system.

12. thornrider

Worcester Bosch. New Products Project Manager working with engineering teams to develop and introduce new products.

13. Tooslow

Tooslow Well-Known Member

Thanks T. You understand the point, I'm sure. I was once warned of a guy who was fond of saying "when I was at Cambridge..." leaving you to fill in the blanks. He'd been there on a one week course! Enjoy the retirement.

John

14. Kamepa

Kamepa Well-Known Member

I also used to work for Bosch making lawn mowers :)

15. thornrider

Qualcast as was ?

16. Kamepa

Kamepa Well-Known Member

As made by monkeys :)

Worked as temp for a couple of years on the production line Also did some product testing mowing and striimming rich peoples suffolk gardens. Now that was a good Job :)

17. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Manager not 'techy'?
    Yes I know some managers are also techies but they are a dying breed.

18. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

Thornrider is entirely correct about your pressure. The central heating system is a sealed system so any pressure drop is an indication of water leaking out of the system somewhere. It will require topping up periodically as he says, probably only once a year, don't ask me where the water goes, it's too late and I've had too many drams. If it needs topping up regularly, you've a leak my friend.

19. Kamepa

Kamepa Well-Known Member

I think I have found the leak a small damp patch on the ceiling :(

20. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

That qualification will add a certain frisson to your future posts to these Forums ... :)