1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Famous photographer worried about selfies...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by SXH, Sep 27, 2017.

1. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

well, I say famous - the name Rankin usually conjures up an author of detective stories for me, but my ignorance is famous across 2 continents.

Anyway...
    rankin.jpg

More details here and here.

Funny how Sky refer to him as 'Photographer Rankin' and the Scotsman as 'leading Scot'.

Oh well, at least it gets him some publicity for his next book. Which at least is a charity one.

2. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

Proud to say I've never taken one....I'm far too ugly for that nonsense.

3. PentaxManiac

PentaxManiac Well-Known Member

Can't say I've ever been particularly overwhelmed by this guy's stuff. About fifteen years ago he had an exhibition on at the branch of Proud Galleries near where I was working at the time just off the Strand so I popped in for a look. There was a visitors' book, one entry of which summed it up well: "nothing gladdens my heart more than a fellow Scotsman on the make in London, but this is pish,"

Then again, I've always said he'll be OK as long as he never works with Jonathan Ross.

4. willie45

willie45 Well-Known Member

I like his stuff. He also has done some good charitable work and seems to be a decent person.

Not sure about calling themselves by one name mind you. Seems a bit narcissistic to me :)

5. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

When I saw the thread title I thought it might be about that primate....

6. Trannifan

Trannifan Well-Known Member

That selfie comes with a nice speech balloon in the current Private Eye...........

Lynn

7. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Bailey described the selfie as a form of masturbation, which seems about right.

8. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

Does that mean Rembrandt and Van Gogh are w***ers?

Catriona likes this.
  9. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

nah they're yer actual artists, the rest of us is photographers innit :rolleyes:

10. Trannifan

Trannifan Well-Known Member

"You think I'm smiling, you should see the lawyers.........."

Lynn

spinno likes this.
  11. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

It's funny really - for a bunch of folk who like taking pictures, including of other people, there's a lot of excitement and agitation when people want to take pictures of themselves.

Geren likes this.
  12. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

I blame George Eastman. :cool:

13. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

Do as I say and not as I do springs to mind. Is it not the case that a lot of photographers are less comfortable in front of the camera than they are behind it.

14. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

That would be why this is my favourite selfie...

[​IMG]selfie by Steve Higgins, on Flickr

;)

15. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Definitely the best sort of selfie :)

Canon Eos 5D_one 8GB 08 IMG_3476.JPG

16. IvorCamera

IvorCamera Well-Known Member

All my selfies are unavoidable at times! that's my selfie in the glasses, not the person with yellow hair, silly!
    Selfie.jpg

Andrew Flannigan likes this.
  17. EightBitTony

As soon as I started taking candid street photography, I realised I was a hypocrite if I wasn't prepared to be in other people's photographs, candid or posed. Now I object far less often when people want to take pictures of me at events and functions.

I also try (I don't always succeed) not to judge folk for taking selfies.

My niece does it, and posts quite a few on her (private, not public) instagram account, along with her friends, they use it to share how they're feeling, and to feel part of something even if they're physically remote. I don't see the issue.

18. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

On the subject of famous selfies (no slight intended on your niece, Tony!) there's an article in today's Observer New Review about a show made up of such by Audrey Tautou, the actor most known for Amélie. First shown at this year's Arles Festival, and to go on show in Xiamen in China from 25 November to 3 January.

One does wonder whether she would have got to exhibit if it weren't for her fame in the acting field. A la young Beckam and his parents.

Come to think of it, wasn't there some other female photographer who did something similar. I'll have a trawl through my assorted mags and see if I can find her name.

19. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

For several years I have taken an annual group photograph of people celebrating a win of a green flag award. This year I turned up with a flat battery and no spare (I know: no need to tell me) and someone else took the photograph. It ws crp, not for any technical deficiency but simply because I was in the photograph. A wisp of hair is across one of my eyes and looks like a bit of crp on the sensor. Some people really are better behind a camera than in front of it. I am such a person.

20. EightBitTony

Being in front of a camera is as much a learned skill as anything in life. I just remind myself that everyone around me sees this face of mine every day, they're used to how it looks in certain situations, and when they look at a photograph of it, they're not surprised or caught out in the same way I am.