1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fame at last. Well no, not really

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Geren, Mar 16, 2019.

1. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

In October last year I was contacted by 'a researcher' from BBC Scotland, saying they liked some of my work and would I be interested in phtoographing someone locally with a view to the images being used as part of the titles for their new nine o'clock news programme. My first thought was that this was a scam because the email wasn't very well written and let's face it anyone could say they were a researcher for the bbc and slap on a knock=off logo. However, I decided to go ahead and do it because it's not like emtpying my bank account would get them very far and until the point of actually having to give them bank details the risk seemed minimal. The person they asked me to photograph had had dealings with the bbc before and didn't seem to think there was anything dodgy about it so I cracked on. It did take them months to pay me, and then I couldn't really shout about it because the images had to be kept under wraps until they were aired...which seems to have happened last night! So I'm on the telly. Well, I"m not, but two of my photos are which is kind of exciting!

181008-BBCCraigard-032.jpg

181008-BBCCraigard-008.jpg

Not sure these are the two that I'd have chosen from the shots I sent in but hey ho - not my decision!

2. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Famous in the BBC Scotland area? That's not too bad - up to 6m people seeing your work?

My uncle was only famous in Falkirk - as 'the Baby Doctor'! :)

Done_rundleCams and Geren like this.
  3. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

Well done Kath, what with an exhibition and now TV. Hollywood calling?

4. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Well done Kath! Best bit of the news. :)

5. AGW

AGW Well-Known Member

Will have a look later. Well done!

Graeme

Done_rundleCams likes this.
  6. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Brilliant. Very envious. First is a real Taylor Wessing candidate.

Done_rundleCams, Learning and Geren like this.
  7. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

That could be classed as faint praise, Mike!

Adrian

Done_rundleCams, RovingMike and Geren like this.
  8. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

LOL! The cafe was really small and there was a limit to the number of different locations I could shoot, but I liked this corridor with the cabinet for reflections and I took three different shots of her here. In the other two she is smiling and of those, there was one that I much preferred but clearly their picture editor is more in tune to TW than I am!

Done_rundleCams and Catriona like this.
  9. RovingMike

Actually she doesn't look half miserable enough. Sorry Kath you blew it ;)

10. RovingMike

Actually I have an assignment on Weds to shoot a friend for launch of his new book. The mag doing a feature on him rejected his stock shot (which is quite bland), so I've got an hour to try to get a performance out of him. This was from a previous book launch:
    [​IMG]

I'm thinking of going through the whole gamut of method acting expressions with him. Give me fury, now give me compassion....

11. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

That does make him look a bit gormless!

Tell him to tell you about the bits of his book he enjoyed writing about the bestt? Should change his expression.
    Good luck!

What is the book about? Quantum field theory?

Done_rundleCams likes this.
  12. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

If in doubt read him a selection from the forum jokes thread.

Geren, RovingMike and Catriona like this.
  13. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

Well done Kath, again!

Out of interest was it always clear they would pay for your services?

14. AlanW

AlanW Well-Known Member

Cartier-Bresson used to just sit and chat with his subjects when he was called on to do a portrait, he'd take a few snaps as they were talking and that was it, often the subject was unaware that he'd done it! And Bill Brandt would shoot just two rolls of 120 film (so 24 frames), two rolls . . . . just in case one got ruined in the processing!

Oh, congratulations Kath, sorry for going off topic.

15. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

I think Kate that you might be more famous than your subject. Who is she?

16. RovingMike

Oh much drier than that: Idea Economics. Development of the Idea Economy and role of the Idea Economist.

Done_rundleCams and Catriona like this.
  17. RovingMike

Yes I think it is going to have to be conversational, but animated, he isn't.

18. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

How is the first one lit? Looks from the reflection in the bathroom(?) door that a flash was used but I can't see how.

19. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

Thank you, and yes - the 'rates' were in an attachment to the orginal email with a day and half day rate stated. Actually that document was one of the reasons I thought it might be a scam because this was just a pdf from a word or pages document with no letterhead, dreadful choice of typeface, no consideration of typesetting/formatting etc. It looked like something my 15 year old might cobble together as a half-hearted attempt at getting her homework in!

20. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

I had a speedlight on top of the camera with a sort-of softbox contraption on it and from memory I bounced the light off the ceiling.