1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Falling Apart Again

Discussion in 'AP Magazine Feedback & Suggestions' started by Roy5051, May 21, 2013.

1. Roy5051

Roy5051 Well-Known Member

Not if you get an answering machine!:)

2. TheFatControlleR

TheFatControlleR :Devil's Advocaat: Forum Admin

I suppose 'try during office hours' would be a suggestion too far too... <insert appropriately smug smiley here>

Remind me, is this the three minute argument or the full half-hour? If it's to be lengthy I'll need to bill AP, which will come out of there printing and binding budget. ;)

3. mark_jacobs

mark_jacobs Retired

Which Roy probably will if he calls tomorrow as Chrissie - the PA - has taken Friday off. :)

This thread was read when first posted and forwarded to the IPC Inspire Production Dept. who deal with such issues. They are taking the matter up with their suppliers.

A series of 'pull-forwards' due to Bank Holidays etc. has prevented a reply from AP editorial until now. Roy - AP contact details can be found in my signature BTW.

regards
    Mark

4. IvorETower

IvorETower Little Buttercup

Maybe you need to amend it:

Have an enquiry re AP? Contact AP .
    For issues concerning the forum/site build please contact the Online Manager > here <
    For issues concerning the magazine build please contact the Production Department Manager > here <
    For iPad edition support contact IPC iPad support > here <

:confused:

5. mark_jacobs

mark_jacobs Retired

Chris I'm sorry to say that as the Production Dept. is a 'back of house' facility provided to publications within the IPC Inspire group that is not possible. As I have mentioned the thread was highlighted to the relevant dept. when first posted. In addition - as I believe you yourself have experienced - direct contact with AP editorial can help to resolve most problems far more quickly than posting online.

regards
    Mark

6. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Not always criticising.

This morning AP arrived a day early and the central pages have not yet fallen out.

7. TheFatControlleR

TheFatControlleR :Devil's Advocaat: Forum Admin

Re: Not always criticising.

Return it, it's clearly defective. ;)

8. IvorETower

I picked the closest icon for "tongue in cheek" that I could find...... As it happens, I've not experienced the self-jettisoning pages, and my last 2 copies have turned up on the Friday rather than Saturday :)
    ... and I'm looking forward to next week's issue very much (searches for icon for "baited breath" and fails)

9. mark_jacobs

mark_jacobs Retired

Not to worry Chris I realised as much :) My reply was for the benefit of anyone else who may pass by (as I felt your post however :p or ;) raised a pertinent point)

regards
    m

10. velocette

velocette Well-Known Member

Still falling apart this week but at least my copy was delivered punctually, I put it down to cheapening production methods. I'm sure that originally magazines were stapled by time served Magazine Staplers who also probably forged their own staples before work. Now the staples are probably sourced from the Far East although I can't see anything on them and I bet the holes aren't precision drilled as I sure they used to be to. Such is Progress.

11. IvorETower

They weren't forgeries, they were the "real thing" :eek:

12. beatnik69

beatnik69 Well-Known Member

Maybe you've ben getting the ones put together by the apprentice Magazine Staplers rather than the Master Magazine Staplers. Have a word with the Guild of Master Magazine Staplers I would say. :) ;)

13. thornrider

thornrider In the Stop Bath

My last week's copy didn't fall apart - so better.

But talking of falling apart - where is the Editor nowadays - where are technical writers like Tim Coleman - and who are all these new people?

14. Damien_Demolder

Damien_Demolder Well-Known Member

Am I supposed to be offended by that? I'm not sure, but it seems incredibly rude.

I am at my desk, thornrider.

Tim Coleman left AP in April. He is moving abroad.

The new people are new people. What sort of details are you looking for?

15. Roy5051

Roy5051 Well-Known Member

I don't think it was intended to be rude, but you have been missing a lot lately!:)

Don't you think it would be a good idea to introduce new people on the staff to AP's readers, either in the magazine or on this Forum? People come and go, with little or no explanation or introduction. It wouldn't take much to write something like "Joe Bloggs has left the magazine to pursue other interests, and he will be replaced by Fiona Whatshername, a graduate in Photography Practice at Godknowswhere University" or something like that. It doesn't take much to keep your customers informed.

16. Damien_Demolder

Damien_Demolder Well-Known Member

We do always introduce new staff writers once they have settled in - Callum had an introductory piece in the 15th June issue. I think we used two pages to let everyone know who he is and what he is interested in.

Leavings and arrivals don't tend to happen simultaneously unfortunately, and it is difficult to introduce new people before they have finished their probationary period - in case we have to un-introduce them quickly.

I was away for a while, but have been back since the end of April! I'm not exactly falling apart. Yet. :)

17. mark_jacobs

mark_jacobs Retired

As Damien mentioned there are 'things to consider' to such introductions and 'informal' introductions (as well as formal) have been made :)

m

18. Callum_McInerney-Riley

Callum_McInerney-Riley Technical Writer

Hi Roy,

I am a new Technical Writer at AP. As Damian said I have a two page piece introducing myself on page 40-41 in the June 15th issue. I also introduced myself on the forum prior to this.

19. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

Oh dear, Technical Writer spells editors name wrong. ;)
    Welcome along Callum.:)[HR][/HR]

20. mark_jacobs

mark_jacobs Retired

Therein lies the problem! Thank you for bringing this to my attention Craig. ;) I will suggest Calloms immediate dismissal ;)