1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Falling Apart Again

Discussion in 'AP Magazine Feedback & Suggestions' started by Roy5051, May 21, 2013.

1. Roy5051

Roy5051 Well-Known Member

Has anyone else noticed? The magazine is falling apart again, the centre pages just will not stay fixed to the rest of the magazine. This is now happening every week, I'm sure it's not just me, I do not treat magazines roughly, just occasionally fold it back on itself.

I used to sellotape the middle back in, but now I can't be arsed. Why can't the printers sort this problem out, it's been going on for months/years. Perhaps it would be better if the centre pages were made of better quality paper.

2. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

Perhaps one of these (or something similar) would help - you can even buy gold lettered labels to match. In fact I think that AP could do a bit of business by offering a customised one at a suitable price

Roger

3. AlexMonro

AlexMonro Old Grand Part Deux

I notice this problem occasionally. The last time was a couple of weeks ago - Fuji X20 test. Annoying because that's an article I'm likely to want to refer back to.

4. TheFatControlleR

TheFatControlleR :Devil's Advocaat: Forum Admin

I think they did, many, many moons ago - as did most stout journals of the day.

5. southonline

southonline Well-Known Member

just collected some recent ones from the post office so gave them all a good shake ...no problems to report here

6. Bawbee

Bawbee Well-Known Member

I haven't noticed any real problem with recent issues.

7. Roy5051

I don't keep my magazines, I recycle them to other photographers.

8. Roy5051

Just picked up this week's issue, started reading the EOS100D review and the page fell out in my hands. I think the main problem is that the paper is folded too sharply, so that any pressure on the paper pulls the staples straight through it.

9. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

Same problem as last time, Just a badly set stitching heads.
    With thin crisp paper stock like this they need to be set accurately.

10. Eye Robot

Eye Robot Well-Known Member

Same here both last week and this week.
    This week's one had the top staple completely mangled so it's maybe a different reason, but the effect is the same.

11. velocette

velocette Well-Known Member

Yep the middle fell out again. Perhaps Damien's too busy to check every magazine now or the man who's stapled them for the last 50 years or so has retired?

12. Roy5051

This has been happening on and off for months. Perhaps it is time for the management to act - either change their printers or change their paper suppliers. I have no problems with other magazines I buy, so why should it always be AP?

13. thornrider

thornrider In the Stop Bath

This is a worthy point.

AP is £2.75 per week, or £11.91 per calendar month, for what is now quite a thin magazine - 42 pages of articles and photos last week. The middle pages do fall out immediately.

By contrast Black and White Photography Magazine is 75 pages of articles, perfect bound, on high quality paper.

AP needs to do better.

14. Roy5051

As a matter of interest, I usually also buy Micromart (£2.25 a week), which is printed on a matt-type paper (not really suitable for photographs) but in 3 years of buying it, I have never had a problem with the middle pages falling out; it is usually 100 pages including the cover, with an extra 32 pages once a month. It appears to be constructed in the same way as AP, i.e. two staples on the page folds, and no matter how I fold it back on itself, it stays together.

It really is time AP, or IPC Media, sorted this out. It is beyond a joke.

15. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

Thought it was just me so I never mentioned it. Bloody thing falls apart on a regular basis:mad:

16. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Perhaps he magazine could be laid out so that if the middle pages drop out then only adverts are lost.

17. Roy5051

No-one from AP seems to be reading this post, have tried PMing Mark Jacobs, but the system will not let him receive PMs apparently. Don't know who else to contact.

18. TheFatControlleR

Here you go: 020 3148 4138

19. Roy5051

An email address would be better!

20. TheFatControlleR

A phone call is more direct, personal, and you know you've been heard... no?