1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fake canon lenses?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Caline, Jan 11, 2007.

1. Caline

Caline Well-Known Member

Hi,

Does anyone know if anyone makes fake canon lenses. I am getting a little paranoid about a lens I purchased of ebay. Its a canon 17-85mm and cost £330. Seemed like a real bargain and came with 1 year sellers warranty.

Seems to work OK. What do you think?

2. bench_ubbster

bench_ubbster Well-Known Member

Was it boxed? Does it have a serial number? This site might help

3. Danny_the_Benchist

Danny_the_Benchist Well-Known Member

What's making you paranoid?

I don't know of anyone making fake lenses.

Can you post us a photo of it?

4. Keitht

Keitht Well-Known Member

US price is about $500 or £260 so the price is not unrealistic.

5. alanS

alanS Well-Known Member

What makes you think it might be a fake?

Does it look like the Canon lens?

6. Scphoto

Scphoto Well-Known Member

Should be fine, ebay does have lots of dodgy fake things though. Haven't heard of fake canon lenses. Best to post a pic of the lens and box.

7. Danny_the_Benchist

I've never heard of any fake lenses before!

8. Lounge Lizard

Lounge Lizard Well-Known Member

I only know of fake Canon users.... ;)

9. Danny_the_Benchist

Touché ;)

10. Dave_Cox

Dave_Cox Well-Known Member

For £330 I'd want the camera as well.....

11. Bawbee

Bawbee Well-Known Member

About 10-12 years ago, I was offered a 'Canon' lens at what seemed a very good price in Gran Canaria. This was in a photographic retailer and, when the guy realised I knew something about Canon equipment, he told me it was a fake that was made in China. It was quite obvious when the weight was very light.

There are fakes out there of almost everything. Beware! Find out the lens weight and do a comparison on your kitchen scales - the wife will show you how they operate ;)

12. ceb83

ceb83 Member

Did it come via Hong Kong?

13. Bawbee

Bawbee Well-Known Member

Pass? But then again, HK is now a part of China.

14. Caline

Caline Well-Known Member

My Dad has the same lens. I haven't compared it side by side, but it looks identical. It came boxed, although I'm not sure about the serial number. I'll have to go and look.

I guess what has made me paranoid is the seller is Chinese/Japanese. But then, aren't Canon lenses made in Japan? I didn't realise this until after I'd bought the lens. Communication witht the seller revealed that he was not English and the lens came in canon box, in another box padded with Chinese newspaper!

I'm probably just being stupid!

15. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

I think you can relax - I've got Canon lenses all the way from top professional build L teles (arm muscle exercise!) down to the very lightweight EF28-105 f4.5-5.6. (I think this one is lighter than the lenshood on my 300 f2.8L.) I gave away my copy of the EF 50 f1.8 MkII - it really was designed down to a low price; the EF 50 f1.8 MkI is so much better built.