1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fading 5Ds

Discussion in 'Canon Conflab' started by PeteRob, May 10, 2019.

1. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Looks like a service centre visit. The camera has always had excessive power drain when turned off (typically 6% per day) so I suspect all has never been quite right. It started giving Err 06 (cannot perform sensor clean tasks) on startup about a week ago. This was after I managed to drain both batteries in the grip by leaving the camera unused for too long. This afternoon, at Chester races, it completely locked up, with just the battery icon flashing empty, no other error code or symbol on the top plate. Turn on and off and it works again - batteries 93% and 95% in the grip - fine for a while, then locks up without warning. AF tracking working, looks fine through the viewfinder just nothing happens when go to full pressure on the shutter release. First time I though perhaps it was because I had it on A1-focus rather than A1 servo and it hadn't picked first focus on the horse, but then it happened a second and a third time. Able to take pictures between times, absolutely nothing obviously wrong. So two out of three races no pics.

2. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

D'oh! Here's hoping it's nothing TOO major

RogerMac and daft_biker like this.
  3. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

Oh dear, hope it is an easy repair.

Related question, but do battery grips drain batteries when not in use, quicker than having a battery in the camera?

Perhaps your winnings will cover the cost of the repair.

4. PeteRob

Me too!

I don't see why they should. This camera has a fault in that respect. My 1Div and my Fujis can go months without losing charge. Even though the camera state of recharge indicator says that the original battery is "dead" it still knocked up 570 exposures with 62% power left today as I've been sitting with the camera on burst mode trying to reproduce the lockup tonight, I locked it up twice again with the grip attached and twice without. Worryingly I got an Err 20 at one point which indicates mechanical error with the reflex assembly.

Took me a while to understand winnings! I don't bet. Actually course-side is a pretty awful place to take pictures from. Chester race-course is overlooked by part of the city walls which provide a slightly high but adequate free viewing of the final bend and home straight, although once round the bend it's a rear view of the finish.

5. Bazarchie

I have a grip for my 5Diii which does drain the batteries when they are not in use, perhaps the grip is faulty or I am not using it correctly. I also have a grip for my 5D i which does not have the same fault. Not an issue as I prefer not to use a grip, but annoying.

I don't bet either.

6. PeteRob

It's the same grip for the 5Ds. I've not had it for very long - spotted it in the shop window last time I bought a battery (which had, just, cost more than the grip!). If they fix the battery drain in the camera w/o grip then I'll be mindful of this.

7. PeteRob

Complete replacement of sensor and assembly. Annoying. That isn't anything that can reasonably be put down to wear and tear or user culpability. Still, a new body would be three+ times the repair price, though I'd rather have said "stick" with the "you know it might cost a couple of hundred" warning when I sent it in for inspection :).

8. Bazarchie

How annoying but at least it is repaired. How old is the camera?

9. PeteRob

It's a couple of years old. I reckon it had something wrong from the start because of the power drain (6% per day when turned off). Nothing wrong with image quality - fantastic camera in that respect. It has had only light use as I have had Fuji mirrorless cameras sharing the duty and I use my 1Div for birding/action. Still, when I get it back it will be freshly warranted. If Canon bring out a 30+ MP mirrorless with IBIS built to 1 series spec then I'll consider retiring both Canon bodies or maybe trading everything for Fuji GX, the new camera sounds good on paper!

10. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

Ouch! I hate stuff that wears out or stops working. Houses. Cars. Cameras. Bodies. I find it annoying. I lost the trolley token I've been using for a few years, and even that really annoyed me and it only cost a quid.