1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

External hard drives?

Discussion in 'Computer Related Help & Discussion' started by jchrisc, May 23, 2007.

1. Paul_R

Paul_R Well-Known Member

Thanks for that link. I have just had a read through the info pages and it seems quite a handy bit of software. Do you use the free version or pro? Any problems with it running in the background etc or with it regularly sending 'data' to the manufacturer?

2. Paul_R

Paul_R Well-Known Member

Actually, is there a free version? I have just tried to download it and can only find the pro version which has a free 14 day trial.

3. martinch

martinch Well-Known Member

The "Essentials" version just has a USB 2 interface, and I don't believe it comes with any software beyond drivers and Data LifeGuard. The "Premium" version comes with USB 2 and FireWire 400 interfaces, and comes with the software the Essential version comes with, plus WD Backup (based on an ArcSoft product), with the exception of the ES version which is eSATA (external SATA), and comes with Dantz Retrospect. The "Professional" version comes with USB 2 and FireWire 800 interfaces, and Dantz Retrospect (I think - not sure on the software).

WD's hard drives come with Data LifeGuard, which does a similar thing - smart test, scan of every sector, zero over-write.

4. Paul_R

Paul_R Well-Known Member

Thanks for the explanation. I have Dantz software wich came with my Maxtor external HD and to be honest, I don't use it any more. I just drag and drop files/folders etc or do a system backup through windows.

I have just received my new WD drive and it didn't come with any software whatsoever, no drivers, no Data LifeGuard. I got the HD, USB cable and power supply/cable. A shame really as I quite liked the sound of the Data LifeGuard software.

5. martinch

6. john60wales

john60wales Well-Known Member

I believe Western Digital now have a 5 yr guarantee..

7. Lounge Lizard

Lounge Lizard Well-Known Member

Guarantee to replace defective hardware but not an assurance against data loss - still do the backups!

8. Paul_R

Paul_R Well-Known Member

9. Paul_R

Paul_R Well-Known Member

I'm not aware of that. I will have to check.

10. Gordon_McGeachie

Gordon_McGeachie In the Stop Bath

I found a handy little programme that you can use to check the hard drive.

www.hddlife.com

11. jchrisc

jchrisc Well-Known Member

I prefer HDDHealth from Panterasoft

Here

12. Gordon_McGeachie

Gordon_McGeachie In the Stop Bath

will have a look at that.

cant do any harm having more ways of monitoring the system

13. martinch

Urg ... WD's warranties are complicated ... their enterprise drive range (Raptor, RE, and RE2) have a 5 year warranty, their desktop drive range (Caviar & variants) have a 3 year warranty, and external drives have a 2 year warranty (except for the MyBook Pro which has a 3 year warranty) [as demonstrated by the sticker on the underside of the box] ...