1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

External hard drives?

Discussion in 'Computer Related Help & Discussion' started by jchrisc, May 23, 2007.

1. jchrisc

jchrisc Well-Known Member

I shall need an additional external hard drive soon. It will have to be USB2 so that I can swap it between machines.

A couple of my local suppliers (one of which is Staples) have neat looking Iomega 500GB drives for just under £100. I have looked at one that a friend is using with Vista on a PC and it seems to plug and play without any problems.

I am inclined to buy from Staples because I have had good experiences with their customer services.

Any alternative ideas?

2. Nod

Nod Well-Known Member

Have a look at PCWorld, Currysdigital etc to see if they've got any special deals on at the moment. I got a 250 gig Toshiba last year for £80 IIRC.

3. Boothy

Boothy Well-Known Member

Try dabs.com

4. Alex1994

Alex1994 Well-Known Member

Iomega 500GB for under £100 seems good to me - I don't think I'd bother looking elsewhere for a better 'bargain'!

And at least Staples are not part of the Dixons group!!! :D

5. Grierson

Grierson Well-Known Member

500Gb for less than £100 seems a good deal to me Chris. I've had a smaller Iomega external drive for two years without problems, a very slim, neat unit. John

6. Grierson

Grierson Well-Known Member

Snap :D :D

7. Tacitus

Tacitus Well-Known Member

Maplin Electronics are constantly promoting such items. I had a 500GB USB drive recently for a 'promotional' £67 this was against an otherwise 'special price' of £89, reduced from ....., etc. (With free postage).

Signing up to their email bulletins usually procures the best deals. (I keep a dumb hotmail account for such sign-ups and check it occasionally if/when I can be bothered).

8. jchrisc

Thanks everyone for the helpful guidance. I will probably nip out an buy one in the morning.

Cheers . . . . . :)

9. IvorETower

IvorETower Little Buttercup

Try to get one with its own software that will do the daily back-up (copying files from folders you specify) automatically. I have a Packard-Bell 250GB USB drive for this purpose and it even prompts you for a backup creation each time that you start up the PC.

10. jchrisc

Thanks, but I already have a very effective backup routine.

I bought one of the 500GB Iomega drives from Staples and it is doing fine at the moment.

11. Paul_R

Paul_R Well-Known Member

Interesting thread. I was just about to order the Iomega from Amazon for £87 but found the Western Digital 500GB, here , for £79. I believe Western Digital are know for their reliability, not really had any dealings with Iomega.

Which of the two listed would you buy?

12. IvorETower

IvorETower Little Buttercup

Western Digital

13. Paul_R

Paul_R Well-Known Member

Thanks for the feedback. As a QA (Quality Assurance?) Engineer, that's reassuring ;)

Anymore thought's anyone?

14. glenng

glenng New Member

Try ebuyer - they are on-line only, but I dont usually find hardware any cheaper - they are very reliable, great customer reviews on all products and have a no quibble returns policy.

15. Paul_R

Paul_R Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info. Checked the site out and the price is about the same as Amazon when p&p etc is taken in to account. Anyway, I have already ordered the Western Digital 500GB HD from Amazon (a couple of hours ago) so I have done the deed as it were :)

16. martinch

martinch Well-Known Member

I tried to post this yesterday but it would appear the internet gremlins ate it ... I've got one of the WD Passport and MyBook drives, and they've both been fine. Work has one of the MyBooks too, and it's survived being knocked a couple of times. I believe Iomega use WD/Seagate drives ...

17. Paul_R

Paul_R Well-Known Member

Yeah, I tried to post to the forum late last night but it wouldn't let me in!

I had seen a number of Western Digital 500GB HD under different names i.e. Elements, Mybook etc but didn't really know what the differences were. I think one of them had USB and Firewire where as Elements just has USB. Other than that I couldn't see any great differences between them?

Thanks for the feedback.

18. Lounge Lizard

Lounge Lizard Well-Known Member

If anything, I've found Maxtor to be the most unreliable. They will work fine for a couple of years or more and then get a bit dicky.

I've now uprated one of my internal discs to 500 Gb (the other is 200 Gb). The old 200 Gb is now in an Icy Box (external caddy) giving me 700 Gb internal storage and 1200 Gb external storage (including the Netgear SC101 network area storage device).

19. Paul_R

Paul_R Well-Known Member

Hi David

I remember you giving advice a short while ago with regards to using a caddy etc. I still might look at that the next time I upgrade my internal HD. As for Maxtor, I have had my Maxtor 160Gb external HD for a while now, can't remember exactly how long but it must be getting on for a couple of years (maybe the right time to change!), and never had any problems so far (touching wood as I type). Mind you, I only switch it on whenever I want to back-up and then switch it off again. My new WD is 500Gb and that will be sitting next to my PC and I will use the Maxtor as a second back-up, mainly for my digital images, and keep that in my desk draw at work.

20. Gordon_McGeachie

Gordon_McGeachie In the Stop Bath