1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

External Hard Drive Recommendations

Discussion in 'Computer Related Help & Discussion' started by Minolta_7, Sep 19, 2019.

1. Minolta_7

Minolta_7 Member

As the title ;) I already have a 1TB Samsung that I use for backing up general PC stuff but I need one just for photos. I was going to get another one the same but I can't find one, so I was wondering what other members would recommend. Thanks.

2. AlanW

AlanW Well-Known Member

Just one backup drive? I'd say two at least!

I'm currently backing up to two Seagate Expansion 4TB drives (£90 each in Argos) with nothing kept on the computer - does away with having to transfer files when the time comes for a replacement PC. I'm toying with the idea of a third drive, my older files are on three drives with one squirreled away for safekeeping. I shoot every day in RAW with a full frame camera so need the larger capacity drives.

If you only need a 1Tb drive, my daughter uses a Seagate Backup Plus 1Tb portable drive (£45 in Argos) which doesn't need an external power supply and works perfectly well.

3. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I use Western Digital. The only beef I have is that the transformers on the external powered ones don't seem to last "very" long but are readily available on the WD store, I've got two spares now. I do leave the transformers plugged in all the time and they are good for 5 years continous use.

4. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

Western Digital.

You can get 1, 2, 3 and 4TB versions, none of which need external power.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/WD-Elements-Portable-External-Drive/dp/B0713WPGLL

https://www.amazon.co.uk/WD-Elements-Portable-External-Drive/dp/B06W55K9N6

The 2TB version is about the same price as a branded battery for most DSLRs / CSCs.

The Seagate models are similar, and I'd use those as well without much concern.

None of them will last for ever, some will die sooner than you want, most will run for longer than you need.

AlanW likes this.
  5. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

Seagate 2 and 3 TB for me. I doubt there is much between the major brands but I have had better luck with Seagate than WD and Buffalo.

As mentioned above, none will last for ever.

I would recommend offsite backup as well, something I have been meaning to do for a long time.

EightBitTony and AlanW like this.
  6. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I use a 2TB Apple Airport Time capsule and a second 2TB NAS drive for networked storage and a pair of USB drives for photographs. Computers have independent back-up drives, one for each MacBook (4 of them). I have plans for a larger networked storage system when funds allow.

7. greyowl

greyowl Active Member

For photos, I use 2 wd my passport essentials 3 and 4 tb. I am sure seagate are fine as well.

Like others, I assume that one of these will fail at some time hence, though its a pain, I use two.

Its also easier to view and edit with a local hdd, of course.

In addition, everything on 2 macbooks and a few win7, win10 pcs gets backed up to a synology diskstation. In theory I back up the NAS to some more portable hdd's - but it happens infrequently.

btw, I have only ( so far ) had 2 hdd failures - both internals and this is with heavy use as an engineering analyst over 30 years or so.

The only other probs I have had was both WD mybook world/live failed but the disks were ok - thats why i switched to synology for NAS.

richard

8. Minolta_7

Minolta_7 Member

Thanks for the suggestions. I've been looking at the Seagate ones so I think I might go for one of those. My pics are already backed up on my Samsung drive every time I back up the drive on my PC I just needed another one in case. As far as reliability's concerned I've had the Samsung for four years now but it doesn't get heavy use. I probably shouldn't have said that :)