1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

exposure & shutter speed

Discussion in 'Beginner's Corner' started by jclay, Jun 24, 2017.

1. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

2. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

Have a look at the manual (previous posting). This is a basic camera that probably has a decent quality lens on it.
    Notice how brief the manual is compared with the manual for a modern digital camera...

It has a simple focus dial that you must set manually - the 'zone focus' symbols are to help you - there is no rangefinder or other focusing aid. The distance appears to me marked in feet and metres too.

Fully manual exposure is possible - you have a choice of fully automatic ('A' on the aperture dial, but you will not know what setting the camera uses), or you can adjust the aperture and shutter speed dials whilst looking at the exposure 'needle' in the viewfinder. I suggest you get a battery for the camera, set the ASA to 100, and play with these controls for a while before you put any film in the camera. You will them see how you can adjust aperture and shutter speed, and how different combinations will result in the exposure needle giving the same reading. The light meter 'sensor' is on the front of the lens (called the 'electric eye') - don't block this or let it get dirty.

When you get some film, I would suggest colour negative (for prints) of 100 ASA. I don't know what the shortest shutter speed is, but using 400 ASA in bright weather might force you to use a small aperture all the time. Also, 400 ASA film will have more grain and large prints will not look as good as one from 100 ASA film. Also, given the age of the camera, it was probably designed to film of 64 or 100 ASA (the speeds of popular transparency and colour negative films in the 1970s).

If the camera is clean and in good condition, and working correctly, you should be able to take pictures that will look good printed to A3 or even bigger (the best image quality is probably at apertures for F 5.6 or F 8). Since it has aperture and shutter speed controls, it is a perfect camera with which to learn about photography. Everything you learn using this camera will be helpful if you get a more modern digital camera. Like me, you will be saddened to see how many people spend a fortune on a DSLR and only ever use the 'auto' settings. You will know how to adjust the camera to use its full potential because you will understand what the aperture and shutter speeds do.

Have fun.

3. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member