1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Explain the different models ?

Discussion in 'Sony Chat' started by SAW, Apr 15, 2019 at 10:34 PM.

1. SAW

SAW Member

Hi,

I'm quite new to photography, my main interest is astrophotography and I use a modded 600D on a tracking mount which works fine. I've just got a M50 to use for normal daytime photography but wanted to use it for AP as well but the more I'm using it the more it's really not suited for AP. One thing I didn't relize it didn't have, was an input for an intervalometer, this is pretty much a must for me. I'm off on holiday in a few days and I'll be taking the M50 after that I think I'll probably sell it. Also buying a 200D really doesn't seem much of an upgrade to my 600D. I do like the size of M50 which is why I'm now looking at the Sony's. I almost bought the A6000 felt great in the hand but was more expensive and I already had some canon lenses, I don't think the A6000 has an input for an intervalometer either ?

So I am now looking at the full frame range but a bit confused on where to start with the models ? Can anyone explain them.

I'll be buying used, just want something that's reliable, low noise, good for stills an AP, not interested in video at all. Any suggestions ?

Thanks.

2. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

Have a look at this Wikipedia list of Sony dSLRs past and present.

SAW likes this.
  3. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I can't say that I know much but they have two ranges. One is SLR-like but does away with the need for a complicated mirror assembly by having a "semi-lucent" mirror - effectively porous to light while still functioning as a mirror for viewfinder and metering function. I'd suggest in the basis of pure ignorance that this is probably not the best for ultra-low light work. The other range is full mirrorless which attracted a lot of interest when launched because the camera had a lot of pixels and a large dynamic range compared to Canon/Nikon. It didn't have any lenses but with adaptors almost anything would fit. It got a lot of attention from the landscape community who were using considerably more expensive digital backs at the time to get those features. Since then Sony filled out the lens line. I associate "6" series cameras with SLT and "7" series cameras with mirrorless but I don't know if that's universally true. They also have two lens mounts 'A' and 'E' again I associate 'A' with 6-series and 'E' with 7-series but again this might not be universally true. Reading wiki (I didn't) would be a good idea.

4. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

It works fine for me. :confused:

5. cliveva

cliveva Well-Known Member

The A 7s is for AP, if it AP you wanted to do, its the camera you will want!!!!

6. Petrochemist

Petrochemist Well-Known Member

So does their infamous 'star eater' noise reduction bug not apply to that model?

7. cliveva

cliveva Well-Known Member

Shoot in RAW?

8. Petrochemist

Petrochemist Well-Known Member