1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Expired FP4+

Discussion in 'Everything Film' started by Zou, Jan 1, 2018.

1. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Any tips on shooting expired FP4+? Not a film I have ever particularly got on with or enjoyed, but I just acquired a few rolls (35mm) and may as well use them. About 10 years out of date.

2. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

I've had some success with Rodinal (actually R09) at 1:100 stand developed for 1 hour. This roll was 7 or 8 years out of date if I recall correctly. The tone range gets a bit squashed but at least it's something...

Leica M3 Summit SP3 08.JPG

3. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Interesting. There was a time when I could click through B&WP and generally identify FP4+ shots from their look, which I considered to be somewhat flat and lacking decent contrast. Yours though doesn't look that way. All I have for home development is DDX, and that's probably expired too. Haven't developed at home for about 4 years due to moving house, lack of suitable space etc. - need to put that right!

4. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

Now there's a thing!

I always thought that the idea with expired film was to amend the ISO based on the age of the stock and increase the exposure accordingly, but to process the film according to the original guidelines for when it was fresh.

Have I got the wrong end of the stick?

Cheers, Jeff

5. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

That's what I thought, too.

Off-topic a bit, I saw a trick to keep liquid developers fresh for longer recently.
    Empty a beer or wine bottle and wash it.
    Pour undiluted developer in.
    Fit one of those "wine-keeper" tops - the ones that come with a little vacuum pump. Seems to work.

S

6. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

I've used some very old FP4 and just gave a extra stop exposure, (50 iso instead of 125) developing as normal. Worked fine.

7. neilt3

neilt3 Well-Known Member

I'm currently using up some FP4 that was out of date about 9-10 years ago .
    Shooting it at ISO 125 , developing in Rodinal .
    No idea on it's storage as it was a gift , but i know it wasn't stored in a fridge , it's come out fine .

8. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Thanks all. I suspect I'll rate it at 50-80 depending on how much light there is and take it from there. :)

9. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

Based on what I've read (unless you know that it's been refrigerated) then that sounds about right. Since it's only ten years out, I'd be tempted to go for 60-ish. Please let us know how it goes!

Cheers, Jeff

10. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

I was planning to shoot with filters, but with winter light that'd be silly shutter speeds or wide open. We'll see how it goes.

11. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

Have any of you noticed cosmic-ray fogging when using old film? And, if you have, how can you tell that from other sources of fogging? Do the negatives look different, or do you need a densitometer plot to decide what's gone wrong?

12. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

13. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member