1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Evicted From Durham Cathedral - Almost

Discussion in 'Talking Pictures' started by Tony Everett, Aug 6, 2011.

1. Tony Everett

Tony Everett Active Member

Can anyone shed any light as to why you are not allowed to take photos inside Durham cathedral? No one there seemed to know and we almost got thrown out for doing so. Plenty of folk had cameras so I thought I'd be dead sneaky and got pounced on by a ninja in a cassock .... Awfully polite but unable to explain why :p

2. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

Copied straight from the Durham Cathedral website:

=========================================
    Photography
    Personal Photography

The Cathedral is a sacred place to which people come to pray and visit undisturbed and, in order to preserve the atmosphere of the sacred space, photography is not permitted within the Cathedral Church. This includes the use of digital cameras, video cameras and mobile phones.

Outside of the Cathedral Church — i.e. within the precincts and the Cloister — personal photography is permitted if it respects the nature of the sacred space. Other visitors should not be photographed without their permission.

Commercial and Educational Photography

For all commercial photography (including wedding photography) in the Cathedral and its precincts, and photography for bona fide educational purposes, permission must be obtained in advance from the Cathedral Office and is at the discretion of the Cathedral. A fee is payable and an identifying sash must be worn by the photographer. Further details are available from the Marketing and Events Department (events@durhamcathedral.co.uk, 0191 386 4266).

Where can I find images of Durham Cathedral?

The Cathedral Shop has a wide range of postcards and some images are available on a CD. The colour Guide Book also contains a range of beautiful and interesting photography. A selection of photographs can be viewed in our online gallery.

The Cathedral arranges occasional photography evenings — details of which may be obtained from the Cathedral Office — when photographers are welcome.
    =========================================

3. Tony Everett

This doesn't explain the fact that there were folk talking, arranging flowers, laughing. This is hardly "undisturbed" and I can't see what the harm is of using a camera without flash to try and capture the beautiful light in the place ... Never mind, plenty of other beautiful places.

4. AGW

AGW Well-Known Member

I suspect the fact that most compact owners do not know how to turn their flash off is likley to be a contributory factor.....amongst others...

Graeme

5. Tony Everett

I agree. The evenings where you are allowed to go sounds an alternative. Just to let anyone aware who may be planning a visit in the near future, there is scaffold over some of the external walls, the castle is closed for refurbishment and there are hi vis jackets and white vans all over the grounds. I think the work is due to finish later this year.

6. Roy5051

Roy5051 Well-Known Member

I was at Chichester Cathedral last month and there were no restrictions whatsoever, they didn't even ask for an entrance fee (just a donation box, tucked away) and the helpers were most accommodating and polite; this is how it should be.

I've never been in Bath Abbey (15 miles from home), for instance, because they want £5 entrance fee - do you think worshippers on Sundays are charged the same?

7. TimF

TimF With as stony a stare as ever Lord Reith could hav

Quite probable. However I'd bet my bottom dollar the real reason is because of...

;) ;)

8. AlanClifford

AlanClifford Well-Known Member

Yeah, god (sorry, God) will forgive your sin of photography if you cough up the cash.

But isn't this unusual. Most Christian places I visit have a clear distinction between religious up time and the rest of the day. Just visited the cathedral in Castries, St. Lucia. The place was a meeting place where people kept out of the sun.

9. Tony Everett

Thank goodness my church is in the woods and on the hills .. All welcome to photograph at any time ;0)

10. Grierson

Grierson Well-Known Member

York Minster to name but one. - John

11. Tony Everett

Off to York in a few weeks, so will try ;0)

Good news !!!

12. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

The Cathedral is private property, they can impose any rerstrictions they wish, whether they are in line with other similar places is not really relevant. You can also photograph from the top of the tower, should you be fit enough to make it up there-the views are excellent.

13. Roy5051

Roy5051 Well-Known Member

Have the Church of England not got a common policy, then? Surprise, surprise!

14. twistedimages

twistedimages Member

WOW.... Some bizarre replies. Recently visited Worcester cathedral and was asked not to take photographs! I was then pointed to a sign, which I photographed! Asking for £4 for a photograph day permit. £6 for a video or tripod permit. Holy silence. So I departed smiling at a women’s institute OAP demanding £4 from Japanese couple.

15. Vodkaqueen

Vodkaqueen Well-Known Member

Christchurch Priory was free to enter but I paid £2 for a photographers 'pass'. Not a huge amount and it was a lovely place to visit so I didn't mind as it went back to the church/priory.

Winchester Cathedral is £6 to enter but have not yet been in so don't know their stance on photography I have never had enough time to justify the cost of it.

Salisbury Cathedral was good for photography but I don't like how they position the desk for the 'donation' to enter, may just as well call it an entry fee (they did let my dog walk round with me so they get a thumbs up for that!).

Most impressed with Chichester as someone has said, very helpful people and no 'forced' donation or entry fee.

Buckfast Abbey at Devon was lovely inside but no photography allowed. Think it was Roman Catholic? Would have loved to have been able to use my camera in there.

Lots more to see, never enough time!

16. filmlover

filmlover Well-Known Member

I had similar problems not only inside Canterbury Cathedral, but immediately outside, within its precincts. However regrettable the attitude, it's their property. It may surprise some to know that you can be stopped anytime from taking pictures in the Royal Parks by the Parks Police. This is because, although open to the public, the Royal Parks are still privately owned by the Queen. It's only by her "grace & favour" photography inside the Parks is allowed.

17. MickLL

MickLL Well-Known Member

Stick around my friend, stick around. Bizarre is the middle name here. You ain't seen nuffink yet. ;);)

MickLL

18. P_Stoddart

P_Stoddart Well-Known Member

Well it could be that they have had complaints.

Praying is a very private activity to some people.

Even without a flash most dSLR do make a small noise.

If you have several people all using dSLR then it could be upsetting.

Surely if they don't have a general fee system it cannot be about money. Afterall they would have then just asked for you to pay.

19. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

As a lifelong keen photographer herself I don't think she would ban photography. :)

20. fredpop

fredpop Well-Known Member

The BBC Antiques Road Show has been "staged" at a cathedral or perhaps two. Was one of them Durham? So much for-

The Cathedral is a sacred place to which people come to pray and visit undisturbed etc.

Having cake and eating it comes to mind

fredpop