1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

EU referendum

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Zou, Feb 5, 2016.

?

How do you intend to vote

1. Remain in EU

46 vote(s)
    55.4%
  2. Leave EU

26 vote(s)
    31.3%
  3. Undecided

11 vote(s)
    13.3%
  1. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

Has already hit investments and savings and pension schemes. Not a good day for pensioners and those that rely on such monies holding their value.
    A sad day.
    People were duped by their own fears and prejudices and the false promise of jam tomorrow.

Research and development and science projects, who have been accustomed to ring fenced guaranteed funding through the EU, will now be subject to the fickle nature of govermental largess and short termism. As will the deprived regions.

Roger Hicks and steveandthedogs like this.
  2. willie45

willie45 Well-Known Member

If I was a younger man I'd be off. As it is, I'm desperately unhappy that my wife has vetoed a return to Scotland.

Roger Hicks and peterba like this.
  3. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

At 81 I am in no position to leave the UK.
    however thousands of young people will be better off investing in their futures elsewhere.

4. willie45

I'm 60 and am unlikely to settle anywhere else. It looks like I'm consigned to living out whatever time I have left in what will be left of the UK, under a succession of right wing governments in a society with a fortress mentality.

5. willie45

I just thought of a possible positive. Maybe this will be like Scotland losing so badly in Argentina all these years ago. Perhaps England and Wales, after the bruising reality of negotiating their way out of Europe will eventually realise their true worth, stop pontificating to the world, accept their lowly status and mind our own business turning our attention to the welfare of the people.

Mind you I also thought I saw a pig fly by the window this morning

Zou likes this.
  6. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

Optimist.

S

7. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

OK, I'm staggered.

8. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

Don't blame the result on the 52% who voted to come out of the EU. At least they went to vote. Blame the result on the 28% who didn't bother to vote. I believe the majority of those 28% were sufficiently content with our current membership or they would have gone to the polls to vote out. Contentment breeds complacency.

steveandthedogs likes this.
  9. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

Have to agree there, the complacent Remainers will have a lot to answer for in the coming decades.

I've been hoping to retire to Dorset, but I'm not sure I will have the finances now.

10. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

11. peterba

peterba Well-Known Member

A good and reasonable point, and I would imagine that what you said is very substantially true. Having said that, I'm not in a reasonable mood, and I'm blaming Cameron anyway - for living down to my low expectations, and being a thick cretin with appalling judgement. It's probably the most spectacular political career nose-dive in memory. Just over a year ago, he was crowing about having won his own mandate (albeit from only 27%(-ish) of the electorate), apparently oblivious of the fact that he'd painted himself into a corner to escape the UKIP threat. Needless to say, of course, I also blame (and utterly despise) the likes of Farage, Johnson et al for being... well, for just being. :mad:

All the talk about migration, throughout the campaign, has caused me to consider starting my own investigation into migration - i.e. to see whether this result is enough to persuade the missus that a move to France might be a good idea. Emigrating at our age is not something to be taken lightly, but we have always found France very agreeable, through the years. We were there only a few weeks ago - and this morning, I feel as though we should have just stayed there. Sadly, the country of my birth has lost its appeal.

MartyG, Zou, Terrywoodenpic and 3 others like this.
  12. PhotoRobin

PhotoRobin Member

The UK has not put its best foot forward today and shown itself to be out of touch with the modern, global world. Very sad day indeed-

MartyG, peterba and daft_biker like this.
  13. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Gibraltar?

14. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

They are likely those that understand that it makes no difference to them either way - ie the poorest and richest in society. There may be some complacency but it is their right to choose to not vote, and should be as respected a decision as voting or spoiling ballots deliberately.

15. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

Yes I agree with this in principle, as long as the non voters and ballot paper spoilers don't then wish to voice an opinion from off their fence.

16. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Their opinion is as valid as anyone else's. There were two options on the paper, neither of which was acceptable to many.

17. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

There were only two options that made any sense, out or in.

18. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

So a choice between austerity, TTIP, and neo-liberalism on one side, and austerity, neo-liberalism and racism on the other. Some choice!

The lesser of two evils is still evil. I spoilt my ballot as I couldn't in good conscience give a mandate to either campaign.

19. Trannifan

Trannifan Well-Known Member

Forget it! The Ulster Unionists will never be able to jump that far over their shadows. Dublin rule is still 'Rome Rule!'.

Lynn

20. willie45

As opposed to rule by those well know prods the French or Italians or Poles or ...........

I suspect you might be wrong. Time moves on. Or maybe not of course.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2016