1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

EU referendum

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Zou, Feb 5, 2016.

?

How do you intend to vote

1. Remain in EU

46 vote(s)
    55.4%
  2. Leave EU

26 vote(s)
    31.3%
  3. Undecided

11 vote(s)
    13.3%
  1. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Simple question - if the anticipated EU in/out referendum is held this summer, how do you intend to vote?

2. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

The present negotiations only deal with the issues that most people are prepared to discuss in public.
    There is a huge Elephant in the room. The leave vote will win.

3. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

That would be a disaster of mind-boggling proportions.

Yeah, leave the EU, pull up the drawbridge with a big union jack on it and a sign "no foreigners here matey!" and return to a mythical golden age of the '50s where men were men and women knew their place :mad: No thanks.

I'm all for staying in, though with the present shenanigans I wouldn't blame the other members of the club if they chucked us out.

4. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

This is one of those major decisions that on the one hand, being so important, the British public should have a vote on whether we'd be better in or out.

On the other hand being so important, and bearing in mind the vast majority of the British public haven't a clue on whether we'd be better in or out, should we have a vote?

Put me down as a don't know.......

5. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

I personally think there shouldn't be a referendum in the first place. We're in, so let's organise any reform from within rather than pick up our football and go home. Yes it is that childish.

But if we are going to have a vote on whether to stay or leave then everyone with an interest in the outcome should have a vote, that means expat brits living in the EU and other EU nationals living in the UK, though you can just imagine what Nigel Farago and the rest of his little-englander daily wail reading europhobes would say.

6. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

We had a vote in the 70's, if I remember aright.

What happens if we vote to stay in - a referendum to leave every thirty or forty years?

This country will go even further down the pan at a vastly increased rate if we leave.

S

7. peterba

peterba Well-Known Member

Quite... I really don't understand why they haven't thrown us out before now. It is truly pathetic, and embarrassing. :mad:

8. peterba

Indeed - and we elect our representatives to examine and decide these questions for us.:mad:

9. peterba

Exactly. And here's a thought... if this wretched referendum should result in our exit from the EU, I wonder if those who have been calling for a referendum, would be prepared to submit to another one - a few years after we have left - to see whether we might wish to re-join.

I suspect that Mr Farage and/or his successors would find all sorts of reasons why another referendum would be undesirable/undemocratic/unnecessary/blah blah blah... ad nauseam. I'd wager that they would claim that the matter had been 'settled' in the 2016/17 referendum.

10. Wheelu

Wheelu Well-Known Member

After the collapse of shipbuilding, mining, glass making and heavy industry, the economy of my neck of the woods is heavily dependent upon the fortunes of Nissan (the largest private employer in the region, with thousands of jobs either directly or indirectly linked to the factory). Anyone living in these parts and contemplating leaving the EU needs their head examined.

11. Lost_In_France

Lost_In_France Well-Known Member

And therein lies the real problem. We wouldn't be allowed back in and I wouldn't blame the other 27 countries for refusing us entry again either.

12. Trannifan

Trannifan Well-Known Member

Exactly. Those of us living on the mainland really ought to be able to participate, particularly as our existances may be at stake.

It seems to me that it's high time that GB finally faces up to the truth that it is no longer a world power, and hasn't been for a long time. As far as the US is concerned, GB is merely another european country and the 'Special Relationship' is, in reality, an illusion kept artificially alive by tories and ukip.

It is also suggested that leaving the EU could actually be detrimental to 'The City', with Frankfurt the beneficiary!

Lynn

13. AGW

AGW Well-Known Member

I like the EU, it does a lot more good than harm. The areas where it is failing could be sorted if everyone thought they were significant enough to find time to fix.

Graeme

14. Trannifan

Trannifan Well-Known Member

Balanced press coverage and information on which to make a decision will be difficult if not well nigh impossible to find given that the 'more influential' papers (Mirror, Sun, Torygraph, Excess, Wail - I use the term 'influential' advisedly) are all owned by people who, for whatever reasons, are virulently anti-EU. (They are probably afraid that, one day, the EU might put an end to their cosy tax avoidance schemes!) The local kiosk flogs the Wail, Torygraph and Grauniad- I glance at the headlines and walk on shaking my head!

Lynn

15. pilliwinks

pilliwinks Well-Known Member

I'll be voting to leave; but even if the vast majority do as well, I'm under no illusions that David Cameron would abide by that result. I can't see any circumstance in which he would allow it.

16. PhilW

PhilW Well-Known Member

I have posted often enough on this subject for it to be clear I will vote to stay in.

The reform I would like to see being pushed is more power to the European Parliament. The stick most often used to bash the EU is that it is undemocratic. To an extent I think this is true.

The Commission's drives the legislative agenda that the (democratic) parliament will vote on. But the Commissioners are not elected - they are appointed by the National leaders (ok, they are elected).

Just make the commission an elected body, or take commissioners from the MEP's and you kill the undemocratic argument.

17. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

I voted IN last time
    I will vote IN this time.

This is taking divorce ideas too far. If every time things get difficult you throw your toys out the pram, you just have fewer toys.
    Agreements and treaties mean nothing if you can set them aside on a whim.
    No one thinks much of the UK now. They certainly will not trust us in the future. If we renege now.

18. miked

miked Well-Known Member

Some very interesting points of view in this thread, and I have the suspicion that if the referendum is indeed held, there will be a majority vote iin favour of staying in.
    In my conversations with people in the various places I visit (I love to engage strangers in conversation (it's an old Northerner's habit)) I find that when discussing the EU and a possible vote, it's the older generation who are inclined to vote 'out'. In my case I perceive the European Parliament as one of the principle reasons for voting 'out', as I see it as a nest of corruption where our our parliamentary 'expenses scandal' was a mere pinprick when measured against the unbridled avarice of Euro MP's expenses claims. And that the EU has expanded to take in countries whose 'democratic' ideals are rather less than savoury (Poland, Romania, etc.) and who are huge beneficiaries of the European purse, and yet who want to lecture us on European free movement rights, makes me quietly fume. Yet, though I mail rail against the EU I have already accepted that the vote 'In' of 1975 (I voted 'out' btw) will be repeated if we are given such a vote. (And in Cameron-land, this is not an absolute certainty).

19. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Dear Mike,

How old do you have to be?

I'd have thought that anyone of reasonable intelligence could see that no matter what the faults of the EU, it's better than war. Short-sighted national posturing caused two world wars in the 20th century. Do we want another in the 21st?

One of my grandfathers was killed when HMS Gloucester was sunk off Crete and the other died on the Russian convoys. I'm damn' glad that I've lived through an era when no Coal and Steel Community/EEC/EU member has declared war another.

Cheers,

R.

20. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

I think HMG have for decades been feeding us only what they think 'we' need to know about, whilst the UK press delivers to its readers marginally more than soundbites to (probably) truncated versions of what it does know. The BBC TV and radio programmes deliver more but this has to be squeezed into the time allocated. I've often watched things like Question Time' and thought that just when things are getting 'interesting', another subject is then raised or the programme has in/conveniently run out of time.

I've never bothered to check this out, but I'm guessing in other EU countries, Jo Public is probably better informed than over here. Maybe what's really worrying Cameron and other politicians and their Parties during the run-up to the Referendum, is that Jo Public might find out about things which would normally have got buried in things like sub-committees and maybe we should have been told about ages ago?