1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

EU referendum - aftermath

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Zou, Jun 23, 2016.

?

How did you vote?

1. Remain

45 vote(s)
    73.8%
  2. Leave

9 vote(s)
    14.8%
  3. Spoiled ballot

2 vote(s)
    3.3%
  4. Didn't vote

2 vote(s)
    3.3%
  5. Wasn't eligible

3 vote(s)
    4.9%
  1. AGW

AGW Well-Known Member

True.... maybe I should invest my dollars in shares in Tena products.... that way I can proffit from the brexiters mistakes?
    The irony of a pension founded on the exploitation of pensioners!

Graeme

2. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

Two weeks on and I'm still staggered. In fact, I'm even more staggered.

3. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Yes one clung to the hope that everyone would realise their error and clamour for another vote.

Roger Hicks likes this.
  4. AGW

AGW Well-Known Member

I feel that there is a growing momentum behind the view that there should be a general election. 80% of the current MP's disagreed with the ref result. The government's manifesto depended on a remain result and it is now rapidly melting. Both of the PM candidates have agendas different from the last tory party manifesto. We are in for such a significant change that the nation deserves a chance to endorse it's political direction.

Graeme

Roger Hicks and daft_biker like this.
  5. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

I've been wondering whether employers will be able to sue the government if their workers are removed from the country. It'd be unprecedented to have legally employed workers removed, and at a huge cost to those employers.

6. RovingMike

My private pension fund is actively managed. Got a panic call this morning to approve sale of part of it in industrial property. Went through in time, but they got hit with a 17% penalty. Big chunk gone forever. Thanks protest voters, see you in hell.

7. AGW

AGW Well-Known Member

What about the government itself.... if we return to pre-eu civil service rules, then there is no place for foriegn nationals...

Graeme

8. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

We will only get a new election if they have difficulty getting stuff through parliament.
    They will use the referendum as an excuse for the change in agenda.

Roger Hicks likes this.
  9. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

We also have five year parliaments now. I can't think of a worse time to stage an election, neither of the two main parties at Westminster is really in a position to run an election campaign at present, the Conservatives are in the process of leadership change with the turmoil of the EU referendum still fresh and Labour is in virtual meltdown partially for the same reason.

10. RovingMike

Right. It would be asking a silly question and would get a very silly answer. Political landscape would be totally unstable.

Roger Hicks likes this.
  11. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

You mean it isn't?

S

12. AGW

AGW Well-Known Member

The Political landscap is completrly unstable, the vast bulk of our representatives are out of step with the will of the country. A few sad people voting for a new leader of the tory party is not going to solve that problem.

Graeme

Roger Hicks likes this.
  13. Brian

Brian Venerable Elder

Oh dear. Seems like your fault for using the wrong managers. Leaving the EU resulted in a very nice increase to my funds.

14. RovingMike

Correct, The will of the country is to sleepwalk to disaster. Can't think why any of them stand out against that.

Roger Hicks likes this.
  15. RovingMike

Yes industrial property sounded safe as anything when I said OK to that bit. Not looked at the rest, too scared. That was the conservative part of the portfolio too.

16. willie45

willie45 Well-Known Member

Thought you might consider this to the point:

or maybe not.

peterba, Trannifan and Footloose like this.
  17. AGW

AGW Well-Known Member

As the leavers have no leaders, no coherent plan or negotiating position... and parliament has taken no decisions yet, I have absolutely no concerns about continuing to promote the remain position. There are still many arguments to be made and winning is so much easier now that the lies are being exposed.
    I still hope that the article 50 button will not be pressed.

Graeme

18. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

What I find utterly appalling is that both sides had more than enough time prior to the Referendum to compile factual and verifiable evidence, and either didn't bother to present it, or more likely, withheld it.

peterba, Zou, Trannifan and 1 other person like this.
  19. willie45

There's an "open letter" to Cameron going around the internet from a diplomat or someone. I'll have a look and find it. It's quite powerful. But just because the facts are now clearer doesn't make a bit of difference to the result.

20. willie45

At least all those who said Brown was the worst PM in living memory can now revise their opinion.

Cameron got us into a recession, and decimated our social services, education and health services and carried on dividing society as best he could. But that was just for starters; to give us an idea of what he could do sort of thing.

He then proceeded to lose us our position in Europe and sparked off events which is likely to break up the entire UK. Then he pissed off and left everyone else to pick up the pieces.

peterba likes this.