1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ethical Problem?

Discussion in 'Talking Pictures' started by P_Stoddart, May 12, 2017.

1. P_Stoddart

P_Stoddart Well-Known Member

2. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

Hi P, Know what you mean but don't think so, purely because there is an honourable tradition of photographing people using public transport going back many decades. Cheers, Oly

3. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Fine by me. Can't see how you can call it voyeuristic. Nor why a bus should be more or less private than a street. I mean, when WOULDN'T you ban photographing people, if you're that worried about these pictures?

Cheers,

R.

4. AlanW

AlanW Well-Known Member

I started browsing Nick Turpin's book a few weeks back and whilst I liked the photographs initially I found that after 10 or 12 I began to lose interest, there just wasn't enough variation to hold my attention. I certainly don't have a problem with them on any ethical grounds bearing in mind that photography, by its very nature, is a voyeuristic medium.

They also reminded me of Michael Wolf's photographs of commuters squashed into carriages on the Tokyo underground.

5. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

I can't see an issue with the pictures. As far as I can tell from the ones published with the article they don't insult, demean, degrade, mock or otherwise denigrate the subjects in any manner which might be a reasonable cause for concern.

6. londonbackpackr

londonbackpackr Well-Known Member

I picked this book up at Christmas and was intrigued by it but like AlanW I found the interest drop off quite quickly. As for ethical grounds, I have no problem its just a different way of shooting street photography.

7. lfc1892

lfc1892 Well-Known Member

No i have no problem with it. hit and miss results though

8. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

No more voyeuristic than photographing at a well known dogging site. The 'actors' are in public space where they can be seen by a voyeur or any other member of the public. If they can be seen then why be bothered by being photographed for display to a wider viewing public on the interweb?

9. P_Stoddart

P_Stoddart Well-Known Member

I just suspect that people in the street are more on guard to possible photography than through a bus window at night.

So you are more likely to catch them in compromising situations or expressions. Plus he is shooting from the dark into light. :)

I do agree that after a few images the style probably wears off.

10. lfc1892

lfc1892 Well-Known Member

Nice stuff in the link

AlanW likes this.
  11. Digitalmemories

Digitalmemories Well-Known Member

I struggle a bit with all Street Photography, as it can be intrusive and in many cultures it's considered rude to take someone's photo without asking first.

With increasing regulation of photography in public places, I worry that Street Photography may be giving an excuse for more regulations?