1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Erm...should these be here?

Discussion in 'Exhibition Lounge' started by Geren, Oct 21, 2017.

1. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

171020-Helensburgh-060.jpg

Now, I'm no expert, but aren't these spring flowers? Surrounded by fallen autumn foliage? What's going on!

RogerMac and Andrew Flannigan like this.
  2. IvorCamera

IvorCamera Well-Known Member

It looks like a winter Primrose of some description, they normally flower December till May, if its a mild winter then expect to see them flower early......

3. Dorset_Mike

Dorset_Mike Grumpy Old Fart

They do normaly bloom in spring but I've known them to bloom right through winter, even had some blooms poking through snow in February; they are a perennial although frequently treated as an annual, planted in autumn for spring flowering - then binned when the summer bedding plants go in; if left in situ or replanted in another part of the garden they will "recover" from flowering and from my experience here on the southh coast they will be the ones most likely to flower earlier and for a longer period.

I believe they are a hybrid from cowslip and primrose dating back to the 1600s.

Geren likes this.
  4. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

They were in the local park and judging from teh all too even planting pattern, were deliberate. I was just surprised to see them flowering so early!

5. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

Our snowdrops or whatever they are (white spring flowers) have their stems through the mud.

6. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

My front garden holyhock is attempting a second flowering something I have never seen before.

7. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

We still have roses in bud and fuchsias in flower as well...despite the fact that the trees on the "play area" across the road keep sending their leaves to swamp our garden and the wind wreaks havoc here at windy corner

8. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

The periwinkle wrapped around our evergreens threw up a single late bloom a week or so ago.

The snails ate it!