1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

EOS flash for Canon 500D

Discussion in 'Help Team' started by alggomas, Apr 9, 2010.

1. alggomas

alggomas Member

I have several flashes for my Eos film cameras as well as a canon 300ez.

I realise that they will not be as advanced and communicate with the 500D. However can I use them please?
    Apart from the 300ez I have a Miranda C AF32 and a cobra flash for eos film cameras.
    Is there a website with suitabilty type list?
  2. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

Check out the Canon Confab section below, and the FAQs with regard to flash. My view is that as a basic Canon flash is cheap enough (220EX or 270EX), that it's not worth risking your precious 500D with older non-Canon flashguns.
  3. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

WHS. Only Canon EX series flashguns (or third party Canon digital compatible units) will operate in conjunction with the camera metering system. There is also the possiblity of damage to the camera with some older units.
  4. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

This one's a fairly well known site note the warning about at your own risk...

TBH the only one I'd use is the Canon 300EZ. I occasionally use my 540EZ with digital EOS and provided I have time to either take test shots or work exposure out from the guide number it's OK.

If you use flash a lot then invest in an EX-series flash which will not only be fully compatible with the 500D but also back compatible with the film bodies as well.
  5. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Well they might be right about the compacts, but that certainly doesn't apply about the EOS series, as the FAQ in the Canon room points out. That said, I wouldn't bother with the older flashes listed, but get a 430EX II or 270EX instead - I've started carrying a 270 around as it's so light and compact, but still belts out a respectable amount of light and bounces.
  6. Bawbee

Bawbee Well-Known Member

I heartily agree with Nick regarding the 270EX. I bought one for my G11 but SWMBO has swiped it for her G9 - she doesn't know about the G11 yet :rolleyes:. After reading a thread on another forum, I have just bought another one for a lightweight carry-around for the 5DII - a good companion for around £100.