1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

EOS 1000D secondary battery

Discussion in 'Help Team' started by Mike Ford, Feb 12, 2017.

1. Mike Ford

Mike Ford New Member

Hi. All.

This is my first post. I have an Eos 1000d which is a few years old, having just bought a wide angle lens to add to my telephoto, it appears that my secondary battery has gone phut. The main battery is draining down over a couple of days with the camera switched off. I have bought a new main battery as I assumed that it was on the way.However it is still happening . I think the biggest clue is that when you take the main battery out and then replace it you have to re set the time and date. I have done a bit of searching and now know that the secondary battery is not very usable replaceable, I presume its soldered to the PCB ? I am fairly handy with this type of thing doing a fair bit of work on car ECUs etc. Can some one out there confirm for me where the battery is before I start taking it apart please.Of course if any body has any other suggestions as to why this is happening I would be grateful for your input.

Many thanks in advance.

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Hi and welcome. Backup batteries are either replaceable button cells in a hidden bit of the main battery bay or rechargeable. They don't do much and should last for years. It sounds indeed that yours is broke. I have seen a U-Tube video of someone taking a Canon apart, I think related to those rental companies who do their own repairs. The first thing they do with a new model is take it to bits so see if they can put it together again. It was a while ago but my memory is that you have to go fairly far in terms of dismantling it to get at the innards. I'd think the simplest thing would be to get a quote from a Canon service centre and see how that compares with the value you put on the camera.

3. Mike Ford

Mike Ford New Member

Thanks Pete. Obviously the camera does not stand me in much , so not worth sending it back to Canon , point of principle as well.If I cant sort it, will buy a new body ( not a 1000d this time, and make sure is has a user friendly secondary ). Don't have a problem with dismantling, was hoping for a couple of top tips as to where it is. It looks like there is a tab in the battery compartment that might have the battery behind , but the tab is not removable and dont really want to break it just in case I am wrong.

4. PeteRob

I'd still ask of the Canon service centres, asking a question shouldn't cost and you might be surprised. I used Lehmann in Stoke once and they were very helpful. Someone else will likely answer - give it a couple of days. Not everyone looks here every day.

5. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

6. Mike Ford

Mike Ford New Member

Many thanks for the replies. I have decided to pass on this one just dont think it is worth the cost and effort fro a quite elderly camera. Bit disappointed with Canon for fitting a NS clock battery. I am considering replacing it with a 1300D so that I can still use my existing lens. I know its entry level , but my wife and I are happy snappers really, and have had some really good travel shots with the old body. As a matter of interest can any one tell me if the 1300d has a replaceable clock battery , cant find anything on line about this ?

7. PeteRob

the only way I know to find out is to read the manual - if it is replaceable then the instructions will be there. I looked at my manuals the 1Div has a replaceable battery but a 5Ds seems not so I am not hopeful for entry level cameras.

8. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

I would suggest that if your main battery is draining that fast, the problem is more severe than secondary battery failure in any case.

EightBitTony likes this.