1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Entry-level Leica rangefinder

Discussion in 'Leica Camera Chat' started by SXH, Jun 28, 2019.

1. John Tarrant

John Tarrant Active Member

Back to basics: £3500 for a digital Leica, compared to other high end offerings from all the usual suspects is not a bad price. BUT you can get a real, new film Leica (The M A) for £3600. Well now that does seem pretty good value: all that high quality engineering for what in today's landscape, is a very reasonable sum, and of course for life long users there are no compatibility issues with all those "legacy" lenses. Now `i wonder what made the very smart Chinese innovators get around to producing a 35mm lens for around £200? This means that you no longer have to search around for old Russian lenses for new inexpensive Leica bodies. (or of course you can hunt around for s/h Summaron 35mm lenses which are frequently excellent value. Anyway the idea that Leica are substantially overpriced is something of a myth when compared to the competition.

steveandthedogs likes this.
  2. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

That's a view certainly. Others may think differently.

3. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Of course, if you can't afford that (and I can't) you could always get the new Leica superzoom, the V-Lux 5. Only about a grand or, to put it another way, about 50% more than the Lumix FZ1000ii, of which it is a slightly redesigned version. Allegedly...

4. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

5. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

Wow, I just had a customer come in looking for one of those on Saturday, Adrian, and I thought he was talking
    about digital Leica without the LCD screen :eek: I was soon sorted ;) and it's one of dream/bucket list cameras :eek:

So, kinda cool to see one :). Also, if you interested in flogging it, it's only a 9 hour flight to Vancouver :D

Cheers,

Jack