1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Entry level camera choice

Discussion in 'Beginner's Corner' started by Kano, Jan 8, 2018.

1. Kano

Kano Member

Hi

Any input to the following would be appreciated...

I've never owned a professional camera before but after seeing the difference in quality (from even basic models) to those taken on a smartphone, I am now looking to get one.
    My main use of the camera would be to promote my martial arts classes I teach, with photos and possibly videos. Although we get a professional photographer in a few times a year I would like to take my own shots regularly to keep promoting what we do on social media etc. Currently i do this on my Samsung S7 but as mentioned above i think the quality would be much better using a dslr.

My budget is around £300 which i know isn't a lot in terms of what could be spent but I think that would get me a good entry level model. In a group i'm in of other school owners, a lot of instructors swear by the Canon 600D which has worked well for them, as this now seems to be quite an old model I was looking at a used 700D which has some extra features and would hopefully have had less use.
    The other model i've looked at which I could get new for around £330 is the Nikon D3400. People have mentioned the Canon 700D has the edge in terms of the range but is it worth risking getting a used one over the new Nikon?

I know the advice generally is user preference but without owning one already would be interested to hear thoughts based on what i am going to use it for.

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

There was another post recently asking for recommendations for cameras for martial arts. I don't remember seeing replies. I have no idea really as it is not my subject. I'd expect all indoor sport, especially fast moving ones, to be challenging because of the low light and the need to be in a good sighting position which would determine the lens needed. The shots I have seen posted in this forum (either exhibition or appraisals, none recently) tend to be of floorwork and holds in judo rather than anything faster moving. I looked up the camera used when I saw the other query but it wasn't an SLR, it was a Sony model I hadn't heard of, probably a bridge.

Edit. I just had a search of the site http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/forums/threads/brazilian-jiu-jitsu-4.121795/#post-1317875

3. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

I haven't been in the market for a new camera for a while now but honestly I'd be surprised if you could get a 700D body and a lens of decent quality for £300. I may be wrong. Also, there is a bit of a learning curve involved with getting the best out of a DSLR. It's very tempting to assume that 'the quality would be much better using a dslr' but only if you know what you're doing. Otherwise your phone camera is actually no better or worse than the expensive DSLR. I would recommend borrowing a camera for a while if you possibly can - that way you can get a feel for it and see if it actually does anything to improve your photographs before you splash the cash. I would also consider a Bridge camera - depending on how and where you are trying to shoot from you may find it has more 'reach' than a kit lens on a DSLR.

4. Kano

Kano Member

It might well of been my query on another thread but was advised to create a separate one... it would be for similar shots of floorwork/padwork etc and staged ones to be used for collages and flyers etc other instructors have managed it well with these type of cameras which initially sent me down that route. Yes low light in doors would be a consideration, i haven't looked at Sony but open to recomendations, thanks.

5. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

see the link I added to my previous post. Scott is probably the person to ask.