1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Enquiry about image storage

Discussion in 'Olympus Chat' started by Ayesha Master, Apr 27, 2017.

1. Ayesha Master

Ayesha Master New Member

I have just moved all my pictures onto one sd card, when I put my sd card into the computer all the pictures are present and in the correct order, however when put into my olympus em10mark ii camera quite a few of the pictures don't show up and are all in the wrong order. Please take note that all pictures were taken on the the same camera however they were saved upon different sd cards initially.

Also when wanting to edit certain pictures on the camera, a message shows up saying "image cannot be edited" Please could you advise me on what to do. Thankyou

2. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Back 'em up onto another card, or a hard drive, quick. Cards can and do fail.

Can't help you with the rest. Sorry!

Cheers,

R.

Andrew Flannigan likes this.
  3. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

The camera stores a lot more than just the image files on the SD card. There seems to be some form of library management with hidden files in the Olympus cameras as well. It's probably a bad idea to have done what you have because the camera may not know what to do with the "extra" images. I'd advise copying all your files to a computer as Roger says and reformating the card. I'd also make sure you have at least one back up of the images somewhere else. All storage devices fail and I keep 4 copies of everything. Finally, I always copy all my images on to the computer; check the pictures and then reformat the SD cards in the camera before re-using them.

4. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

I just checked what a newly formatted SD card in my Olympus E-PL5 holds...
    1. SD CARD
      1. DCIM (image storage)
        1. 100OLYMP (image directory - may be several)
          1. P4270001.JPG (still image)
          2. P4270002.JPG (still image)
          3. P4270003.MOV (movie file)
      1. .fseventsd (hidden control directory)
        1. fseventsd-uuid (hexadecimal file - possibly pointers to image files)
    I suspect that more control files are created as the card fills up but that's a guess based on the way things are usually done.

5. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Basically never do what you just did! Treat the camera card as a temporary storage part of that camera and no other. Take the images off the card and on to a computer and also make a back up to an external hard disk. I do the transfer after each day I use the camera and after all the copies are done I empty the card in the camera.

Roger Hicks likes this.
  6. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

My experience has been that digital cameras are very fussy about directory, folder and image names and if the structure or numbering or any one of those components doesn't match what the camera is expecting it won't display the image. I have also found that opening the image in other programs even if I make no changes is capable of preventing the camera seeing the image.

Storing the image on PC and/or external disc is the best way forward. The SD card is only really intended to store the captured images until you transfer them to a computer or equivalent permanent storage device. If you must use SD cards for permanent storage then be prepared to buy a new card each time you fill one up - that's the only practical way to 'ensure' that the camera can always see the images as they were saved. Even then you will likely have problems if you upgrade the camera at a future date as there is no guarantee that the newer model will necessarily recognise the file structure of an earlier model.

Roger Hicks likes this.