1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Empire State Building - complaint

Discussion in 'Photographic Locations' started by J H Foto, Sep 27, 2013.

1. J H Foto

J H Foto Well-Known Member

You can get great pictures from the 86th floor, do not be tempted to pay the extra $17 to go to the 102nd floor because you are surrounded by glass..

2. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

If I remember correctly from the last time I was there... There are gaps between the glass plates which are large enough to get your lens in.

3. J H Foto

On the 86th observation floor it is a steel fence and you can get the lens through the holes in this quite easily. For an extra $17 you can go up inside the spire you can see on the top of the Sate building, they call this the 102nd floor and you are surrounded by quite solid glass. I should know I was there last week...

4. AlanClifford

AlanClifford Well-Known Member

5. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

Okay, calm down ;)

6. surf_digby

surf_digby Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Take some of these with you to get rid of fingerprints. Get up close to the glass and use your body (or a friend's) to minimise reflections, and then use white/colour balance to get rid of the greenish/blueish tint that the glass will give.

A quick blast of the high pass filter might be required too.

7. J H Foto

And what about the outside.....?.....Doh

8. southonline

southonline Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

although you'll have to start from the bottom working your way up :)

9. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

That's Top of the Rock.

10. J H Foto

We went to the Top of the Rock as well and that was similar to the State buildings 86th floor, my Empire State at night was shot from the top..

11. NosamLuap

NosamLuap Rebmem Roines

We went up to the top of the rock, simply because you then get to see the empire state... better view in my opinion.

12. J H Foto

Yes the Rock is a great vantage point, I have a shot both in the day and at night of the downtown area.

13. southonline

would you mind showing ? I'd be very interested to see this

14. J H Foto

Look in the exhibition thread I have some there...

15. southonline

thanks

16. NosamLuap

NosamLuap Rebmem Roines

17. surf_digby

surf_digby Well-Known Member

I would imagine there's not as many people leaning on the outside of the 102nd floor windows and looking in.

It wasn't built with photographers in mind, and they aren't going to take the glass out for us, so we make the best of what we can.

18. southonline

19. AlanClifford

AlanClifford Well-Known Member

20. southonline

cheers Alan...impressive, something like that is defiantly a print and frame shot