1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Emails to some btinternet addresses being bounced

Discussion in 'Computer Related Help & Discussion' started by Malcolm_Stewart, Jul 18, 2017.

1. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

I don't understand emails and SPAM filters etc.

Several people on my address book have email addresses with btinternet.com, and I have no problems emailing them. However, as a result of a death in the family, I've been trying to email a cousin for the first time, and so far, both my reply emails to him have been blocked, and they used the reply address from his email to me. In the first email other addressees received their copies of my email.
    My emails carried no attachments, and were short, simply confirming my condolences, and then, visit to the funeral. Why the inconsistency between different btinternet.com customers? Might I be OK in a few days time? but the message quote below says it's permanent...

(Thank goodness that I could contact him via text message...)

Message from the server
    Puzzled as always!

2. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

A server called mx.bt.lon5.cpcloud.co.uk rejected your message because ukmrpl003.threembb.net is on a blacklist as having sent spam. Are you sending via a mobile device by any chance? Is that always the case, or do you sometimes send from a desktop? Also, when you say some mail arrived, was it mail sent at exactly the same time?

The reason the message says permanent is the 522 error code, and it just means that the destination wasn't 'temporarily busy' or some other temporary code. If the address is removed from the blacklist, the error will go away.

3. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Tony will correct me if this is wrong but this is my understanding.

If someone's computer is sending spam (this can happen without them knowing) through a particular mail server then the whole mail server can get blacklisted. This is because individual email addresses can be spoofed (always treat emails with attachments or links with suspicion even if they appear to come from someone you know ). The blacklisting stops all mail coming from that server because it is not possible to tell the genuine from the fake mail coming from that source. It could be that the mail company takes some action, blocks the offender and flips accounts to another server in which case your mail will work to that person again. Otherwise, and more difficult if you have been out of touch, the person to whom you have been trying to send emails can get you whitelisted. This means your emails get through. I've only dealt with this at a company level when my emails (from a microsoft hosted exchange server) to a company got blocked for the same reason but it was a small company and I could go direct to the IT manager. I wouldn't have a clue who to go to to whitelist someone trying to mail me at my yahoo account.

You can try again in a day or two to see if your sender has fixed the problem or send from another email account. You can set up a free account and use it just once.

4. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

5. MickLL

MickLL Well-Known Member

I had the same problem,same error message (except that I was the receiver) it seems to have been fixed now.
    MickLL

6. PhotoEcosse

PhotoEcosse Well-Known Member

This may not be the case in your example but btinternet routinely reject what they see as "circular" communications - emails to a longish list of addressees (over 50, I think).

When I send out emails to the memberships of various clubs that I administer, I have to split the addressees into two or more circulation lists, each with fewer than 50 addresses. I think that AOL gives the same problem.

7. Malcolm_Stewart

Thanks to all for your replies - I think I'm a bit wiser.

Yes, my Internet connection is via a 3 Mobile Broadband dongle, and most of the time it works fine, although occasionally, I do get these rejections.

My first email mentioned above was a reply to the bereaved sender, plus two members of my family as "cc", plus my 3 daughters as "bcc" to keep them informed of my whereabouts..The second email was only to the bereaved cousin, and when that got bounced I thought I should ask here for some guidance. No attachments with either of the emails.

8. EightBitTony

Most internet providers have multiple outbound mail servers to cope with demand, which route your mail takes is quite random. If one of them becomes listed, then you can find only a percentage of your outbound e-mail is affected and it'll appear quite random.

9. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

I send out regular emails to 70+ members of our camera club. All are contained on one distribution list. There are twelve members who use btinternet. By their names a little warning icon always appears which says 'Some recipients use services that don't support encryption'. They always get the email but what the warning means I don't know.

Only the btinternet users get this icon. All others are fine.

10. Malcolm_Stewart

A few days after my original posting, I was able to contact my cousin via email to his BTInternet address; but my email to him this morning, has been bounced once again.

11. EightBitTony

Someone somewhere is abusing one of the mail servers your mail is being routed through and you have little control over that other than using a different provider for your e-mail.

12. EightBitTony

Mail servers increasingly use TLS to encrypt the in-flight traffic. By preference, sending servers will try and send mail over TLS, and if that's not supported, will fall back to non-encrypted. It's probably warning you that the recipient's mail servers (i.e. BT's) aren't accepting TLS connections.

https://community.bt.com/t5/Email/G...pcloud-co-uk-didn-t-encrypt-this/td-p/1626521

The whole space is messy.