1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

EM5 mk II rear buttons not working

Discussion in 'Olympus Chat' started by IvorETower, Mar 25, 2018.

1. IvorETower

IvorETower Little Buttercup

I wonder if anyone can help? Am currently away on a short break and the rear buttons of my EM5 mk 2 have stopped working. Can't get the menu to appear, can't review any images. Have I inadvertently disabled them with a keypress combination whilst carrying it or has it developed a fault? Have downloaded a PDF of the manual but cannot see anything obvious

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Sorry, I don't know - try taking the battery out for a few mins. I supposed "is it charged?" is a silly question. I once knocked my Canon 5D onto full auto and spent a frantic 15 minutes wondering why the top plate LCD was blank and no settings worked.

3. IvorETower

Yes. I've tried a couple of batteries and changed lenses and taken the battery and memory card out for a while. I've subsequently found a post of a similar issue on another forum that resulted in the camera having to be sent in to Olympus uk for a repair. Not looking hopeful and my confidence in Olympus has taken a battering

4. alfbranch

alfbranch Well-Known Member

You may have pushed the button to the side of the viewfinder with a rectangle symbol on it which switches the screen off.

5. retrofit

retrofit Well-Known Member

Yep.

I had to send mine (EM5 mk2) back for a similar fault, no problems since return, but 3 to 4 weeks waiting!

LCD stopped working, something to do with a shutter sensor I think.

I’d send it back whilst under warrant?

Interestingly or rather not, my camera fault started when on my holidays!

6. IvorETower

The screen is working, it just lost touchscreen functionality. I am back home now, have phoned Olympus UK who confirmed a fault so it's been boxed up and is on its way to their Nottingham facility for repair. They required proof of purchase despite the camera being registered via their website at purchase, fortunately I found the receipt this morning (31-Dec-2016 and warranty is 30 months). They advised 10 to 15 working days turn-around (and no loan of something else in the meantime) which is not impressive for a high-end camera..... sadly in my old film days, the most expensive camera I bought then, (back in the 1980's) a Canon T90 also went wrong a few times.... seems that top-end cameras are rubbish for reliability despite being treated very gently and handled with kid gloves, and not being used very much.... the EM5 had under 3000 shutter actuations. All thoughts I had of upgrading to an EM-1 mk II are now binned.

7. IvorETower

Well, it's back today, repaired and apparently with the latest firmware installed. Had a quick play and had to reset some of the settings (eg white balance had been moved from auto) but the day and date had been set correctly by the facility in Portugal (despite it originally being returned to an address in Nottingham). Am a happy bunny again

8. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

Hopefully an isolated incident due to a bad batch of components. Olympus will be just as annoyed as you, having to spend time and money correcting the faults. I would also hope, that Olympus has a serial number record of all the units with the bad components in, and are willing to repair any camera that fails, with the same fault, whether under warranty or not. This is a sign of true after sales service. In fact, maybe a recall is in order as they are clearly aware of the problem.