1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Elvis Presley...........

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by swanseadave, Aug 16, 2017.

1. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

For me the test is have they harmed or colluded in the harming of or advocated the harming of others who have not themselves done so. If none of these then we must permit them to hold such views no matter how much we detest them.

2. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

To quote "I have sung the folk tradition with me finger in me ear" I'll stop there.
    The finger in the ear, hand behind the ear is a much more effective form of foldback.

Trannifan likes this.
  3. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

From reading various definitions of folk music, then various forms of hip-hop are folk.

4. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

How close to the death would you defend their right to say it?

5. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Can't possibly agree with anyone that suggests that all opinions are valid; at least you didn't say "equally valid", though. Problem is that by allowing some opinions, you're actually giving us a shove down that slippery Niemoller slope, and that's where it does get ethically very tricky.

steveandthedogs likes this.
  6. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Not so. You only need one nutter with a van to achieve a kill ratio of ten to one. If they were a bit more scientific and load their van with concrete blocks over the driven axle, instead of more jihadis then one person would achieve far more. No, I am not helping them, they have worked that already; they are not stupid, just corrupted.

7. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

And this one nutter would decide, all his ownsome, to do this? There is no possibility that he was encouraged by other nutters?

Yeah, right.

Cheers,

R.

8. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, one of them gets an idea and he, or less likely she, can easily contact like minded individuals over the internet and you have a conspiracy.

Roger Hicks likes this.
  9. Learning

Of course he would be corrupted by others, based on some medievel text.

10. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

So essentially it doesn't take just one nutter?

One has the idea and he need others to assemble the parts of his plan. Sure a lone wolf can rent a van buy a kitchen knife and cause havoc but most incidents aren't that simple.

Roger Hicks likes this.
  11. Learning

But it could be just one nutter.
    And it gets worse. Another nutter, perhaps not from the distrusted minority, driving something like a petrol tanker might be tempted to take revenge.
    The risk is not just of copycat killings by the first nutter group, but revenge by members of the majority target population, many of whom are in positions of great trust.

12. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Sure, it could. But a phrase that springs to mind in response to your post is "clutching at straws".

Cheers,

R.

13. willie45

willie45 Well-Known Member

I'm wondering how the women sing :eek::oops:

14. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Don't let's get started on Kate Bush... ;)

15. willie45

willie45 Well-Known Member

Actually I was a bit further north than that :)

DaveM399 likes this.
  16. RovingMike

But to return to Elvis, Sky Arts have a season on him and last night's on 1956 was very good. Still irks me that most his early hits were covers of black songs, but that was the way things were then and he did completely re-interpret them. Rolling Stones were the same.

17. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Thanks, but no thanks.

18. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

Thank god I haven't got a TV.

S

19. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

But did he record anything decent after 1958? Or ever perform in the UK?
    No to both - too busy making crap films (not entirely his fault) and ballads written for middle-aged fans on valium.

If you want to talk about talent in writing and performing, why not Chuck Berry?
    I saw him in 1976 in the UK, and nobody I have seen since was in the same league. After the first song, he paused and asked the audience if the sound was too loud. It was (having been set up by the usual mixing desk person who lost his hearing years ago), and it was turned down. A true professional, even when his backing band were not.

I don't know what his opinion would be about a Canon DSLR versus a Zenith SLR (see above), but I suspect it would be very brief, entertaining and erudite.

20. RovingMike

No indeed. And apart from a few pretty boy imitators in the very early 60s no-one really followed him either. Whereas the Stones took up the mantle of Chuck Berry and the Beatles Buddy Holly. Both in my view more influential musically (if not culturally) than Elvis. But Elvis was the catalyst (not Bill Haley) that opened black music to whites and enabled blacks to cross over. Chuck would have remained in the black charts and Buddy might never have got started if not for Elvis and they both admitted it.