1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Elvis Presley...........

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by swanseadave, Aug 16, 2017.

1. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

I would not stop you but go further and encourage you to do so provided all you do is write or speak but not act.
    That's where I might disagree depending on what you mean by "stop". If you mean "prevent from saying" then I would want to see solid proof that the statement was likely to cause harm. "I don't think that Quakers should be allowed to speak" is not the same as "I call on all good Christians to kill Quakers" (I hope that's a sufficiently silly example not to cause offence).
    That's where I do disagree. To me all opinions must be accepted as valid or we're on the slippery slope that Martin Niemöller warns us of. We're all entitled to oppose those opinions and the examples you give are opinions I oppose vehemently.

2. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

I have "A Feather on the breath of God"; I love her work. I somewhat wonder how close a modern rendition is to her original, but then again, I don't really care.

Cheers,

R.

3. Roger Hicks

Dear Andrew,

But what does "a valid opinion" mean? Unless it is defensible, how can it be valid?

Cheers,

R.

4. Andrew Flannigan

Seems to me that all opinions are valid if the holders believe what they are saying. Whether an opinion can pass an object test for truth or even accuracy is another matter. Flat Earthers hold valid opinions in that they genuinely believe what they say. Their opinions are wrong because we can show the errors objectively but they remain valid opinions because they are held in good faith.

5. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

Looking at the way this thread has gone, Elvis has quite clearly left the building.

LesleySM, Footloose, willie45 and 2 others like this.
  6. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Isn't that why the Pilgrim Fathers legged it (metaphorically speaking) for the Americas, because they weren't allowed to persecute Quakers?

Roger Hicks likes this.
  7. Roger Hicks

Dear Andrew,

What if I suggest that you should be murdered because I don't like your religion, or the colour of your skin, or people called Andrew?

This strikes me as stretching the meaning of the word "valid" quite a long way.

Cheers,

R.

8. Roger Hicks

Dear Nige,

That's just your opinion...

Cheers,

R.

9. Roger Hicks

Dear Steve,

They weren't fussy. They wanted to be allowed to persecute EVERYONE. Stopping them doing do was, in their opinion, persecution.

Which is where opinions get you. There comes a point where they are arrogant, doctrinaire, stupid lunacy. Now, can arrogant, doctrinaire, stupid lunacy ever be "valid"?

Cheers,

R.

10. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

Yeah, but it's a valid one ;)

Andrew Flannigan likes this.
  11. Andrew Flannigan

I covered that in #101 - if you advocate harming someone instead of just saying you don't like them then you should expect to get squashed.

12. willie45

willie45 Well-Known Member

Again. I feel you, bro'

13. willie45

Absolutely re the Beatles. Listening with some attention to what appears to be a simple Beatles song reveals them for the truly beautifully crafted pieces they are. The passage of time only emphasises this.

Not sure I agree re folk music though. I do feel most folk pieces are so changeable and fluid with so many regional variations of the same song, that it's problematic to argue that it is long-lasting in the same way.

Roger Hicks likes this.
  14. Roger Hicks

Dear Willie,

Hard to argue. But then again, what is "a folk song"?

Cheers,

R.

15. willie45

Dunno :D

Roger Hicks likes this.
  16. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Well...

Roger Hicks likes this.
  17. Trannifan

Trannifan Well-Known Member

The academics have been argueing about this since at least the early 1950s! I'll go with Louis Armstrong on this.

Lynn

18. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

Louis Armstrong also said "If you have to ask what jazz is, you'll never know.'
    I guess the same would apply to "folk song". ;)

steveandthedogs and Roger Hicks like this.
  19. miked

miked Well-Known Member

It's very easy to identify a folk song. Singers of these songs tend to hold a hand behind an ear, look off into some faraway indistinct place, and sing (men in this instance) in a voice that suggests something, or someone, is strongly squeezing their testicles:)

Trannifan likes this.
  20. Roger Hicks

Dear Andrew,

Having thought more about this, I propose the following scenario:

There are 1000 racist nutters in a given area, diluted in a general population of one million. Individually, they are harmless. Allow them all to get together and they become dangerous. "Allow" includes "encourage via right-wing web-sites and news media".

We are back at the old argument that no-one should cry 'Fire!' in a crowded theatre (Schenk v. United States, 1919).

Cheers,

R.