1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Elvis Presley...........

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by swanseadave, Aug 16, 2017.

1. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

He, Mr. Presley, along with Grucho Marx, died whilst I was on a road trip through Trumplandia ....
    .... I was more saddened with the passing of Mr. Marx

Cheers,

Jack

Footloose and steveandthedogs like this.
  2. willie45

willie45 Well-Known Member

I was going to say, it's well seen you've retired :eek:;):)

3. SqueamishOssifrage

SqueamishOssifrage Well-Known Member

In this final scene the stage is split in two horizontally, with the upper part being the interior of the temple, and the lower part the underground vault where Radamès is to be buried alive by the priests. In the finale, Aida, whom Radamès hopes has fled the country to safety, is found to be hiding in the vault so they can die together (after, of course, a spirited duet*).

When I saw the opera at the Grand Met in New York some years ago, they showed the upper part of the stage at the start of the scene, and then when Radamès was to be thrust down into the underground vault, they raised the temple floor up, presumably hydraulically, to show the vault and the temple simultaneously.

* One of the great anomalies of opera - from where do dying characters get the vast amount of energy they use to sing their final aria?

By the way, thanks for the explanation. To paraphrase, stuff that should best be played in a sealed underground vault.

Zou likes this.
  4. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Dear Andrew,

Um.... No they don't. Possibly with music (but then only possibly), but definitely NOT when it comes to e.g. white supremacy.

Cheers,

R.

5. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

I'll agree to disagree with you on that. Even the horrible people who hold such beliefs are entitled to them. If they try to put them into practice that's a whole different thing.

6. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I am finding that difficult to agree with; it is impossible to make people think differently but that doesn't mean that the views of, for instance, white supremaisits aren't completely wrong.
    That I can agree with.

Roger Hicks likes this.
  7. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Not really. Entitlement implies some kind of legitimacy. They are not entitled to hold such views at all. They do so by exception.

Zou likes this.
  8. Andrew Flannigan

Evelyn Beatrice Hall (not Voltaire) wrote "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." That is my attitude.

9. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

I admit I am an unashamed prog/metal fan but I do like lots of other stuff. A few months back I persuaded the DJ on an internet rock radio show to play "Oh Fortuna!" from "Carmina Burana"

4 people slagged it and me off as "not rock" and 8 people came out the closet and admitted they liked classical music

I always say "I like good music - what's good music? If I like it it's good"

But with Nige on rap

10. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

I don't mind a bit of rap personally. My taste in music is eclectic. The current 6 CDs in my car are The Darkness - Permission to Land, Finlay Quaye- Maverick A Strike, Gogol Bordello - Gipsy Punk, Beautiful South - Carry On Up The Charts and a double compilation of Ska/Rock Steady/Two Tone. If I had to choose one genre only to listen to then it would be Ska/Two Tone.

dream_police likes this.
  11. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

We were not discussing freedom of speech. That is another and even more contentious issue.

12. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

Ska is also one of my favourite genres and have quite a few CD's of various sorts. I loved 2 tone as I was growing up, as well as the stuff mentioned. I saw the Specials as a youth and again a few years ago and I had the time of my life. It was full of blokes my age having a good stomp at the front. Never sweated so much in my life. The Specials are one of my favourite all time bands.

At the time of my youth, I also saw The Beat, Madness, The Selector and one or 2 who I'd never heard of.

I am with you with The Beautiful South. I have seen them twice. Very good indeed.

I think it's good to have an eclectic taste. I grew up with Pink Floyd at home as they were one of my dads favourites. I still listen to them now. If it hadn't been for my dad, I doubt I would have listened to them back then.

13. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

I grew up on an eclectic music diet. Jim Reeves was alongside Suzi Quatro in my mum's record collection. Being the youngest of 3 brothers I experienced a lot of 70s rock and punk too. My daughter has similarly eclectic tastes and has introduced me to the delights of K-Pop. As cheesy pop music goes, it's actually very good.

14. Andrew Flannigan

I like all sorts of stuff from chamber music to heavy metal. I also dislike all sorts of stuff from chamber music to heavy metal. It depends entirely on the individual piece and sometimes the actual performance for me.

willie45 and Roger Hicks like this.
  15. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

I would guess song-wise the 'American Standards' written by the likes of Kern, Berlin and Cole Porter etc are likely to outlive most of the different types of songs around.

16. Roger Hicks

Dear Andrew,

Only if I can point out at the same time that you are a dangerous idiot, and do my very best to stop you promulgating your despicable views. There are always plenty of stupid, hate-filled or simply frightened people in the world. It is dangerous to allow them to coalesce, as we see with Trump and Brexit.

("You" obviously in the general and not the personal sense.)

There is a confusion here about "validity". Is racism as valid as anti-racism? Is religious bigotry as valid as tolerance?

No.

Cheers,

R.

John Farrell and steveandthedogs like this.
  17. Roger Hicks

Then again, so will many Beatles songs, Tom Paxton, etc.

If durability is the sole criterion, then folk music tends to be the easy winner.

Cheers,

R.

willie45 likes this.
  18. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Indeed Roger, some folk music may go back as far as the 12th century and beyond however if that is not the case then for durability I would suggest Hildegard von Bingen,( b. 1098 d. 1179.)

Roger Hicks and SXH like this.
  19. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Well, any album called 11,000 Virgins is bound to sell well... ;)

20. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member