1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Elvis Presley...........

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by swanseadave, Aug 16, 2017.

1. swanseadave

swanseadave Well-Known Member

......died 40 years ago today.How the years have flown.I`ve got a clear image in my mind of hearing the news on the radio.

2. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

One of those things you tend not to forget. He was a very unwell man towards the end, yet he still managed to perform as well as ever.

3. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Well I saw him sweating and mumbling through his last show on TV over here and I wouldn't quite say that.

Never really took to Elvis, I was a Buddy Holly man. I preferred all the originals to his sanitised covers. Just listen to Wanda Jackson do Lets have a party and then Elvis smooth it down and make it palatable for the middle of the road. Ditto Hound Dog.

4. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

I forgot easily enough. Sorry, Elvis!

Cheers,

R.

RovingMike likes this.
  5. IvorCamera

IvorCamera Well-Known Member

He cant be dead we seen him in Las Vegas and Benidorm last year.....

6. AlanW

AlanW Well-Known Member

. . . . my pet mouse, Elvis, died yesterday . . . . . . he was caught in a trap . . . . . . . :(

7. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

That's odd, I thought he was living in a bus on the far side of the moon.

8. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Groan!

We can't go on like this...

AlanW likes this.
  9. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

What have you started Swanseadave! Can we return this post to sender?

10. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Never rated Elvis, and couldn't stand the Beatles in the 60s either. I am sorry that, as with so many others, he managed to destroy himself. To quote Tim Rice "so famous, so easily, so soon is not the wisest thing to be"

11. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

I thought Antonio Banderas was the best thing in that film - magnificently cynical. :D

12. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I wasn't talking about the film, I saw the stage production with David Essex

13. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

My mum woke me up to tell me Elvis had died and I went "Yeah" and went back to sleep

I was more upset she didn't wake me up to tell me Marc Bolan had died

14. willie45

willie45 Well-Known Member

Elvis didn't move me - though I admit he was an original and sparked a lot of musical ideas that followed. The only Elvis I really liked was Costello who IMHO is surely the greatest popular songwriter of recent years.

Geren and LesleySM like this.
  15. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

I remember hearing it on the news and being quite upset becuase I had rather fallen in love with him in all those cheesy films he made. But to be fair, I wasn't really 'into' Elvis for the music. Like Willie, I preferred Elvis Costello. Still do.

16. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

I was in the car on the way to the test match at Headingley - Boycott's 100th 100 game. I hated Boycott; he was a malign influence on Yorkshire cricket.
    Elvis? Not a fan either. Didn't like his singing style. Ditto Costello, for that matter.

What a ray of sunshine I was. ;)

17. AlanW

AlanW Well-Known Member

Yes, if you don't count Bob Dylan or Leonard Cohen or maybe even Paul Simon! o_O

18. swanseadave

swanseadave Well-Known Member

I have in my collection about 40 vinyl Elvis albums((none of them film soundtracks) and countless singles.

Some of the late 60s early 70s studio albums are very good.Agree about the films,well most of them are carp.

19. willie45

willie45 Well-Known Member

I disagree and would suggest Elvis is a better popular songwriter than these. Leonard Cohen has lyrics but musically v patchy. Ditto Dylan. Also I'm not sure they wrote pop songs in the sense most would recognise. Paul Simon was more balanced than LC and BD but still not in the same league as Elvis.

All IMHO and no point in arguing. I mean what tastes better: bananas or steak?

Andrew Flannigan likes this.
  20. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

Paul Weller? Gotta be up there surely?