1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

EISA 2017-2018

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by SqueamishOssifrage, Aug 16, 2017.

1. SqueamishOssifrage

SqueamishOssifrage Well-Known Member

2. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

Not surprised.
    If they get their act together with lenses, the likes of Nikon and Canon are going to have some serious competition.

3. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Assuming that they don't just lose interest

4. AndyTake2

Let's hope not.
    Competition makes things more interesting. I am a Nikon user, and if it weren't for the fact that I am skintypoos, I would switch to Canon or Sony. Nikon gear is good, and their lenses too, but they really stifle things with their closed minded attitude to third parties.

5. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

Pointless awards. In the past they've given awards to products that hadn't yet been released onto the market and therefore not tried and tested.

Or in the case of Nikon, products that hadn't yet been recalled.....

PhotoEcosse and DaveM399 like this.
  6. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Nikon has missed the boat. The 850 is tbl.

7. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

Couldn't agree more Dangie. Why not also include awards for the previous years equipment, based on the same team's finding from whatever sources they already use?

8. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

9. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

All the awards seem to be for technical innovation, anyone who doesn't want or isn't interested in such things as mirrorless, live view, rotating screens etc. will consider the winners differently from those who are early adopters. Personally I wouldn't want the Sony even if it won every award going because I don't like EVFs. Not that makes it a bad camera but it does illustrate why the awards can be totally meaningless. The same goes for things like "car of the year", "van of the year" etc.

10. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

"Film of the Year" "Book of the Year" "Silly Competition of the Year" :cool:

11. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

Cameras need a bit of history behind them before an award makes any sense.
    perhaps a year in arrears would be more reasonable.
    But as it is really a marketing award we will just have to take it as it comes.

12. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

For some reason those involved seem to think that the result actually matters! I really don't care what wins, I have Nikon kit so that rather colours my thinking, if I want a new body it is going to be a Nikon. That a Sony won camera of the year isn't going to make all my expensive lenses Sony fit overnight (I know there are adaptors) so I won't be buying a Sony. I am sure Canon, Olympus and Pentax users take the same view.

dangie and Andrew Flannigan like this.
  13. AndyTake2

It matters a lot in marketing.
    Sony will splash 'camera of the year' on their ads, doing big pages in mags, and the sellers such as Jessops and Wex will have it plastered on their websites.

For those entering dSLR photography, the highest camera in a lineup may be a target or a pipe dream, but it may well influence what they start with.

Don't be fooled into thinking that because you and I know enough about cameras that everyone does.
    On my last few visits to sellers including John Lewis, Jessops, people have walked in, said 'what is a good camera?' Perhaps looked at an advert, and then walked out with some kit, often unsuitable, but it is the start of a road that they are unlikely to veer from.

14. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

In my local John Lewis camera / TV section there's a range on display, but only on Saturdays (& perhaps Friday evenings) is there any advice on offer. (The "suits" seem to cluster around the tablet / laptop shelves.) When you look closer, you'll probably see that the knowledgeable advice giver is wearing a discrete badge with the name of one of the large electronics distributors on it. Good if you're trying to get info on a large screen TV, but is the advice unbiased?
    Can't remember ever seeing anyone from Nikon, Canon etc. Perhaps they're with one of our favourite photo shops...

15. PhotoEcosse

PhotoEcosse Well-Known Member

I think there are two questions.

The first - "Why do they do it?" - is partially answered above.

The second is "Why do they waste our time and pages and pages of our magazines ramming it down our throats?"

I would rather compare manufacturers' specifications in their own paid-for advertising than read the combined opinions of a set of empty-headed sycophantic journalists.

16. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I am pretty sure that Nigel isn't an "empty-headed sycophantic journalist" but I do think that in all fields the journalists have a very different set of criteria by which they judge products from the paying customer. What that means of course is that the winning product is going to be different from what said customers might chose. I haven't used any of the winning cameras from recent years but I know that rarely would I have chosen to buy them.

The same definitely applies to cars, what the journalists think is good I tend to think of as having missed the point.

For me the "value" of such awards is that it tells me something of what, in this case, photographic journalists think of as being market leading.

17. PhotoEcosse

PhotoEcosse Well-Known Member

There is a lot of truth in the old saying, "Those who can, do; those who can't, write about it".

(Says he who has written far more magazine atricles than he ever had a right to do!! Nowadays, when folk ask me if I am still writing for x, y or z magazines, my standard reply is "No. I ran out of lies to tell.")