1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

EF-S lens of EF body

Discussion in 'Canon Conflab' started by RogerMac, May 14, 2017.

1. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

Does it do damage damage / is it possible to attach an EF-S lens to a FF body. I ask because I have just bought my daughter a birthday present of an EF-S lens which should arrive later today and I would like to test it before I give it to her, but I only have a 6D body to test it on. I know all about vignetting so I am not expecting quality results outside the central portion but I would like to give it the once over before we wrap it up

Thanks in advance.

2. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

According to this page:

That help?

3. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

I've just compared my EF and EF-S mounts and an EF-S lens with protrude 2-3mm further into the camera body. Whether this is enough to come into contact with anything it shouldn't on a 6d I don't know. The contacts appear to be in the same place though.

4. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

If the rear element of the E-FS lens is inside the mirror's swing arc you're looking at a scratched rear element, crunched mirror or both. This would not be good :(

5. RogerMac

6. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

You cannot connect an EF-S lens to an EF body. The rear of the lens will hit the mirror. I would have thought as a safety matter they would make them impossible to attach but I don't know for sure.

7. RogerMac

Thanks all. I shan't even think about it!

8. RogerMac

Golly!- I ordered it at about 4pm yesterday paid a bit extra for Sunday delivery and it arrived before 11am today. I am well i,pressed

EightBitTony likes this.
  9. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

Canon EF-S lenses have additional elements in the mount ring that physically prevents them being attached to a full frame body.

Non-Canon lenses may or may not have that protection built in.

You can't actually physically mount Canon EF-S lenses to a Canon Full Frame body - they physically don't fit.

RogerMac likes this.
  10. RogerMac

Seems as though Canon has done a thorough job. The new lens is in fact a full Canon (55-250 tele zoom) so there should be no problems with inadvertent lending

Thanks

11. Snorri

Snorri Well-Known Member

Yes you will damage both. Given that you actually get the lens on the mirror will hit the back of the lens so you would see damage to bothe the back of the lens as well as the mirror. The reason is that the first element in the ef-s lens can be considerably closer to the sensor, Canon use 'this fact to make the lenses smaller and lighter.