1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Education and religion.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Footloose, Feb 8, 2019.

1. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Yes not much about freedom of speech in the bible.

But there is a worrying trend in large parts of the population to believe that, if science fails on any point, or is disproven, that somehow makes metaphysical explanations of whatever more plausible. It doesn't, it make an alternative scientific explanation more plausible and metaphysical remains just as implausible.

2. SqueamishOssifrage

SqueamishOssifrage Well-Known Member

Ah, yes - the famous 'We don't understand it, therefore god' argument. The thought of sharing the universe with the malevolent, egotistical, capricious, vindictive tyrannical god of the old testament disgusts me far more than others, who must be either stupid, brain-washed, badly educated, liars or are unable to reason for themselves - or any combination thereof.

I include liars in the list because I am sure there are many who express belief purely because they fine it expedient so to do.

3. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

Similar for me. At primary school (my school was a CoE, for no other reason than it was my local school). We had morning assemblies and I refused to bow my head, close my eyes or put my hands together in prayer. I was asked why and I told them I didn’t believe. I was only very young, I got told off, and probably, although I don’t remember, played along with their games and pretended.

4. RovingMike

Much loved I have to say, by politicians. I have been involved in several legislative processes where it has been proven early on, beyond question, that the politically popular measures proposed do not address the actual problem and will not be in any way effective and their reply is simply "So your suggestion is we do nothing about it then?"
    The response to obesity and underage drinking are two where tokenism took over completely.

5. RovingMike

I never gave in to it at all.

6. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

I think they should put Attenborough documentaries on instead of singing hymns and praying in assembly.

7. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

It looks like Attenborough's been very successful in ensuring other people are going to be following in his footsteps, proving that big budget series like his, are more financially viable than the naysayers think. It was David who gave us 'Civilisation' and 'The Ascent of Man.' series.

SqueamishOssifrage likes this.
  8. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

If I did give in, which as I say, I can’t remember, it would have been for appearance sake and an easy life.

9. Trannifan

Trannifan Well-Known Member

I remember that the GCE 'A' level included 'General Studies'. (Dates me,doesn't it!?) When I took the exam there was a question which had something to do with religion. I wrote what I vaguely recall as being a fairly sarcastic view of the subject.......and got a very good grade!

Lynn

10. SqueamishOssifrage

SqueamishOssifrage Well-Known Member

I agree that Attenborough has given a guide to others that these series can be popular, but all three series were done by the BBC, which has a duty (or once had) to educate as well as entertain. I am not aware of any such enterprise of this stature appearing on commercial television, but I certainly think more educational programming would be a worthwhile exercise.

BTW, 'Civilisation' was Kenneth Clarke, and 'The ascent of man' was Jacob Bronowski.

11. MickLL

MickLL Well-Known Member

Your grade was despite your sarcastic reply - not because of it! :)

Was that the paper that I took? It was in several sections - science,arts,a modern language and a couple of 'general' sections. IIRC the candidate had to do at least one question from each section and pass each section before passing the whole thing.

MickLL

12. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

I'm very cynical about the value of Attenborough's various productions. Value? Cost? Cost to the environment simply making these TV blockbusters. Value in educating the public? I suspect most are simply entertained as they sit and watch TV. Sorry, but someone planting trees, or giving up their car, or helping youngsters find a better way has far more value in my eyes.

13. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

You do realise that when Attenborough ascends to the throne of heaven it'll be the hot seat for you? ;) :D

Catriona likes this.
  14. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Oh goody! Warm at last. :)

15. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

Whilst David Attenborough was the Controller of BBC2, between 1969 and 1972 he commissioned 'The Ascent of Man' and Alistair Cooke's 'America in partnership with Time-Life, as well as Kenneth Clark's 'Civilisation' which was a wholly BBC2-funded programme. I think he also commissioned 'Monty Python's Flying Circus' and 'The Old Grey Whistle Test'!

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
  16. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

I find that the involvement of the Open University in a programme is a good indication of quality.

Learning likes this.
  17. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Even the programme of one's own education, but it has become expensive. I accidentally ended up with a BA from then. That is a slight exageration; I saw it coming but I had no intention of graduating when I started.

18. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

I'd show them the Megabunus diadema film he did in some far off place and then take them outside to see the same species in the playground.

spiky-harvestman.jpg

That one was in my back garden......early summer they seem to be pretty common once you get your eye dialed into them. Would have to watch life in the undergrowth again to remind myself how far a large team of them went to film them (in low resolution and iffy focus;):p).

Catriona likes this.