1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Education and religion.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Footloose, Feb 8, 2019.

1. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

This is the kind of thing I would have expected to happen within the 'Bible Belt' in America, but not in the UK! Having said that, we do have fundamentalist Muslim and Jewish 'sects' operating schools which the Department of Education are bearing down on for not providing their pupils with a 'rounded' education (and we are not just talking about the standard religious education pupils are receiving) that in some instances mean pupils find once they have left school, they are ill-equipped to seek employment outside the almost ghetto-like communities they live in.

https://www.secularism.org.uk/news/...bout-evolution-after-christian-parents-object

There has also been a school where the parents objected to their children, (as part of their religious education) visiting a Mosque! Things like this breed intolerance through ignorance, which then result in racism.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2019
    ascu75 likes this.
  2. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Yes disgraceful, but in this snowflake era, more is only to be expected. They will be millennial parents.

Gezza and ascu75 like this.
  3. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

4. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

Replace evolution with natural selection in the vocabulary section or at least explain it as well as selective breeding.

And those parents who objected shouldn't get to see their kids in a Christmas nativity.

ascu75 likes this.
  5. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Tell the parents to prove the existence of their god. Require them to produce he/she/it within 14 days or go to jail... :cool:

6. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

I thought it was only Gammons who just read the headline:rolleyes:

7. Learning

Nothing wrong with a Christmas nativity. Christians can see it as documentary. Secularists can see it as a good phantasy with a rather cruel ending.
    What have 'Active Evangelicals' got to fear from Darwin Rocks? They can just tell their kids that is a musical play, a piece of fiction. If they fear the influence of a piece of fiction then they have little confidance in the convincing nature of their faith.
    Children need to be exposed to opposing ideas, and need to learn to be discerning.

Gezza likes this.
  8. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Phiction rules. Phairy stories too! But phor some, it matters. Live and let live I say.

Gezza, DaveM399 and Learning like this.
  9. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

What a shame a significant proportion of them don't.

10. Learning

11. DaveM399

DaveM399 Well-Known Member

Ph***ing right!

dream_police and Catriona like this.
  12. Trannifan

Trannifan Well-Known Member

The DUP wants this as well......................

Lynn

13. Learning

Doesn't surprise me.

14. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

If only they'd teach children to say "this is what I believe but it could be wrong". A little genuine humility goes a long way.

15. Gezza

Gezza Well-Known Member

There are quite a few people that could do with learning that phrase.

16. Learning

To the credit of proper scientists."This is our best model so far. It fits most of the facts. It allows us to make sensible predictions. We will ammend our theories and models when we find more facts. These are the facts that contradict our present models. Science is work in progress."

17. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

Then in high school teach them what speciation means.

Roger Hicks likes this.
  18. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

It is remarkably equivocal on the issue of whether evolution is fact or theory isn't it?

19. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

Sadly yes.

Did I ever tell you about the time I got in trouble at primary school for heckling the minister in assembly? He stood in from of the whole school trying to feed us lies as truths and had the full support of the headmaster and deputy head mistress who punished me for pointing out he was talking rubbish.....I didn't get to play on the football team after that.

PeatSmoke likes this.
  20. Mark101

Mark101 Well-Known Member

Faith schools often come up on LBC Radio as a topic for discussion where they will talk a donkeys hind leg off with no conculsions. Personally I don't believe faith school should exist for a number of quite trivial reasons. However, there is a vast number of C of E funded primary schools which have existed since the present schooling system was developed and personally, apart from assembly I don't recall and religious input or influences at the one I attended. But of course the more fundermental the religion the more fundermental the views and influences.