1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

East midlands landscapes

Discussion in 'Photographic Locations' started by EightBitTony, Jun 13, 2017.

1. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

Does anyone have any recommendations on photographic landscapes in the east midlands. I'm based right between Derby and Nottingham, and have a car so can travel. But, I work full time, don't get full weekends to myself, and so can't drive for hours and hours.

I've had very little practice at landscapes, and usually always in 'the wrong light'. I want to try, but I struggle to find inspiring landscapes to actually get shots of - and you can only practice on boring landscapes so much.

I know about Curbar / Baslow edge, which is probably approaching the limit of where I can drive to and back in an evening.

Does anyone have any other suggestions (google map references / links appreciated!)

2. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

I can't help with any locations but you could try Googling the area in the 'Images' menu, to see where others have taken shots, then from there go to Google Earth and have a scout about. Then don't forget to check the 'Photographers Ephemeris' for sunrise/sunset times and direction. I find the tools really useful.
    I'd wait until Autumn though unless you don't like your bed :)

3. EightBitTony

I don't mind going late after work to get sunsets, and googling is only so effective, I just hoped people had some personal experience of the area.

4. Mark101

Mark101 Well-Known Member

Well I did find this https://www.flickr.com/groups/2106100@N24/pool/

5. EightBitTony

6. clive bennett

clive bennett Member

You could try Lumsdale, Matlock. Water falls, derelict stone buildings, m take the Chesterfield road out of Matlock , turn right just after the school park and it is straight ahead 100 yards.
    Also Padley Gorge, park at Nether padley station on the side of the road, it is straight ahead, lovely gorge, trees, water faalls, walk through then across Larence fieldthere is Suprise view, and Burbage edge

7. EightBitTony

Thanks, checking google maps now.

8. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

Sorry for coming in late:
    How about Bradgate Park, north of Leicester? Once you're out of site of the entrance areas, I reckon you could be anywhere - I was surprised that it felt so remote. Charnwood Forest is also worth a visit, plenty of variety.

EightBitTony likes this.
  9. EightBitTony

Thanks, I'll look those up.

10. Trannifan

Trannifan Well-Known Member

Well now, there's Stanton Moor, Birchover, Wensley, Youlgreave, Lathkill Dale etc.etc. where there are all sorts of interesting things - including pubs - to discover. However, time may be a problem in terms of out and back, wandering around and so on. Then again, it's 40 years or so since I was in the area!

Lynn

11. firecon

firecon New Member

I'm Derbyshire based and often head up to the north of the county to Kinder Scout and Bleaklow. As the name suggests very bleak and wild moor land. Don't head out on to either without a map and compass