1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

E-M5mk3 is here!

Discussion in 'Olympus Chat' started by RovingMike, Sep 24, 2019.

1. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Just came from Park Cameras where lady told me she had been at the launch show and tried the long-awaited Mk3. I said I was looking at the Lumix GX9 as possible backup to the Oly E-M1mk2, since 5mk3 was taking so long.

She implored me not to buy the GX9, said 5mk3 would completely outclass it. Confirmed dual AF, 20.3 sensor and weight reduction, plus other goodies. Will be announced in days. And price will be under £1,000.

2. RovingMike

Judging by the cries of "I must get my mitts on one of those", it is going to be a rip-roaring success;)

Actually I believe it will do very well. Announcement I now hear is Oct 17.

3. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I said previously that Olympus needs to work on reliability. Their cameras have good specifications but unless they can persuade their customers that they have beaten the reliability issues people will still be considering Panasonic.

4. RovingMike

Agree entirely.

5. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

Not too sure what these 'reliability' issues are that Olympus cameras suffer from - Can someone here enlighten me, as the only thing I have heard of, is the material covering the metal body coming unstuck on the E-1! My E-1 is still working perfectly, and it wasn't until last year that I noticed a bit of dust had made its way onto the sensor, but on turning on and off the power a couple of times, that was promptly removed by the body's 'ultrasonic' dust remover! Considering I have changed the lens on this body in less than desirable conditions, without any issues on this front, I'm wondering what this reputed problem happens to be.

6. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

A quick look at this forum will reveal some lens issues and other problems. Now it is well known that people report problems and don't comment on things that go right so the forum may be biased towards faults. However, Olympus do have a history of minor, but annoying, problems dating back to the OM1 at least. My comment was based partly on my own experience of known problems with film cameras and partly on reports of problems with digital equipment. As a specific example the film advance lever return spring on the OM1 was known to fail, it was a design fault as the spring wasn't strong enough, there was also a power board problem with the OM4. It appears, from my reading of this board that similar niggles have persisted.

7. RovingMike

Yes after 10 years of no problems whatever with their digitals, I have had the 14-42 pancake lens go and claimed under guarantee, the 14-42 II R then packed up and has just been repaired by Oly (£104). Waiting for new Pen F thumb patch body covering to arrive, old bit dropped off. Now EVF has taken to not working with some lenses and probably have to go back. Securing ring on FL-36 flash split, so it wobbles about. All a bit niggly as you say.

Main thing on OM1/2 I remember was exposure reading was never better than a rough guess. The calibration or whatever used to go very easily.

8. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Oh, the meter was calibrated was it, I'd never have guessed!

RovingMike likes this.
  9. RovingMike