1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dye Transfer

Discussion in 'Help Team' started by Col. Hogan, Mar 25, 2001.

1. Col. Hogan

Col. Hogan Well-Known Member

I have a picture which says "Eastman Dye Transfer" on the back from 1966. What is a dye transfer? This particular shot was used as a TV Guide cover distributed nationwide. Apparently these transfers were made and sent to various television stations for a promotion of the show, I'm not sure.

2. Joël Lacey

Joël Lacey Member

Dye transfer was the acme of colour transparency quality way back when. Long, laborious, and requiring highly skilled technicians laying down, in highly precise registration, three individual colour layers, Dye transfer was for when you really wanted the best result. The chemicals used in one of the dyes (I believe the Yellow) can no longer be manufactured by Kodak owing to their (or the chemicals used to form them) carcinogenic properties.
    Technicolor films used a similar system.

Joel

3. David Stout

David Stout Well-Known Member

On the subject of chemicals no longer available, I remember buying a bottle of Johnsons Uranium Intensifier for a particularly thin neg I had. Nowadays, nobody believes me that photographers once used uranium.

I'm surprised that selenium isn't banned.

I also remember going into a chemists shop and asking for some potassium ferrocyanide. The chemist fell about laughing saying that he couldn't sell me such a toxic chemical. I had to explain that the iron complexes the cyano groups rendering them relatively inert. In fact, the standard antidote for cyanide poisoning is to drink a ferrous sulphate solution which reacts with the active free cyanide to form the ferrocyanide salt.

David

4. BigWill

BigWill Gorgeous oversensitive Nikon-loving cream puff

Thanks David, handy to know that for the next time the wife slips some cyanide into my tea. (she never gives up trying!)
    BigWill

5. David Stout

David Stout Well-Known Member

You've got to keep the freshly made up solutions close by because cyanide works quickly on the nervous system and you won't have time to go out to the shops to buy any...

David