1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DXO Optics Pro 9

Discussion in 'AP Magazine Feedback & Suggestions' started by Yokel, Jan 7, 2014.

1. Yokel

Yokel Member

In the 4th Jan. issue of AP you did a review of DXO Optics Pro 9 and in your verdict you said "Once you've tried it , we believe you will not want to use anything else." I'm not sure just what your reviewer means by this because Pro 9 is not a "stand alone" programme and it has one quirk which might make anyone think twice before forking out £200 plus for the elite edition. It is not possible to download photos from a camera into the programme as would be the case with most photo editing software. Rather, each photo has to be processed and then "exported" to somewhere more permanent on your computer - if you don't do this before disconnecting your camera your work will be lost. The exporting process is not quick. On my computer (2.66 GHz Core 2 Duo MAC with 8Gb RAM) each processed picture takes around one minute to export so dealing with a big shoot is a very lengthy business. In theory you can export directly into another editing programme, but I use Aperture and I can not find a way of making this direct export work with Aperture.
    Pro 9 is very good at RAW conversion but it does lack a number of facilities which most people would need for image manipulation. Also, printing out of Pro 9 is far from perfect and all this means that some other image editing software will almost certainly be needed.
    I don't think your review of Pro 9 made any of this clear. Using your star rating system I would award your review just 2 stars!

2. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

In my case, it would be 0 stars - I'm still using Win XP....

3. LargeFormat

LargeFormat Well-Known Member

I'm rather inclined to agree with Yokel. I have used Optics Pro for many years and am a great fan. It is the only program I use for RAW conversion and enables me to do all sorts of manipulation on the RAW file before saving it as a TIF which I then open up in Photoshop so I certainly don't see it as a one stop shop.

I've never had much of a problem with the processing time particularly a files can be batched and run while I'm having tea.

4. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

I've not tried 9, but then I abandoned DxO some time back - it cant touch Canon's DPP for quality, IMHO, and that's free. I didn't bother reinstalling it when I had to replace my hard drive, and I had been using it since v1.

5. ChrisNewman

ChrisNewman Well-Known Member

When I bought my D800 a year ago, I found there was no update available for my PSE 8 to process the RAW files. I was intending to upgrade to Lightroom when I got round to it, but when I read the review of Lightroom 5 I noticed that neither it, nor Lightroom 4, would run on my Windows Vista computer. In any case, the computer sometimes seems very slow, and is prone to crashing, although it’s not yet 5½ years old. So I will need to replace it before I buy a new photo-editing program. I sat up and took notice when I read in AP:
    Having replaced the D90 and 17-55mm f/2.8 in my camera bag with a D800 and Tamron 24-70mm f/2.8 as my principal lens, the other lenses I usually carry in it are still DX ultra-wide angle, telephoto and macro lenses, to keep the weight down. I have just bought a Nikkor 105mm macro, but the 85mm will remain in my bag except when it seems likely that I will get some macro opportunities, because it is only half the weight. But when I checked, DXO Optics Pro 9 does not claim to support a D800 with any DX lenses. (If I bought the Standard Edition for my D90, for half the price, it would cover all the lenses I own except the Sigma 150-500mm (an FX lens which isn't covered for any cameras)!)

Chris

6. Yokel

Yokel Member

By a strange coincidence DXO have to-day published a tutorial showing how to integrate Pro9 into a workflow with Lightroom, Aperture or Photoshop and very helpful it is too!
    I think I would like to make the point that IMHO a lot of the reviews in A.P. have become too superficial. We can all read a list of the specs. for a camera anywhere but it would be really useful to know how easy it is to set up a wi-fi link from the camera. (Assuming it has wi-fi of course!) Ditto the video abilities of a camera, and so on. I appreciate this all takes time, but then surely that goes with the territory of being a reviewer.
    Similarly with software. Clearly DXO Pro9 is not a stand alone application and actually it is not really for a beginner. The review in A.P. would have been a lot more useful had it given some clues on how to integrate Pro9 into the editing process.

7. Yokel

Yokel Member

Chris.
    I have the elite version of Pro9 (unfortunately the basic version did not support my camera!!) and when I check in the programme for cameras and lenses supported the list is actually very small. However, whenever I try and edit a picture from a supposedly unsupported camera- lens combination the programme immediately downloads the required update. I use a combination of Panasonic/Nikon bodies with lenses from most of the big makers and haven't been able to fool Pro9 yet! Have you tried downloading and using a trial version of the prog.?

8. ChrisNewman

The list of lenses supported for the D800 is very broad for FX lenses, and the list for the D90 is huge. You don’t say what your camera is, but has Pro9 applied corrections for APC-S or smaller lenses used on your camera?

I have never been keen on downloading trial versions of complex software programs, because I know I need to spend a lot of time getting to grips with them, and still don’t get much of an appreciation of what they can offer, never mind whether another unfamiliar program would turn out in the long run to be better or inferior. So for software (not cameras) I prefer to rely on reviews. I did wonder about using that route to explore whether Pro9 could make corrections for the DX lenses I own used on the D800, but I thought that downloading such things might only become possible once I had paid for the program!

Thanks for the suggestion, and I would be very grateful to hear of any experience you have of correcting lenses of a smaller format than the camera. (Particularly as you started this as a comment on the AP article rather than Pro9 itself!)

Chris

9. Yokel

Yokel Member

Chris
    I'm afraid I can't help with how Pro 9 copes with DX lenses on an FX body since I have a D7100 and a variety of FX/DX lenses. Certainly an FX lens on the DX body is not a problem. The two Panasonics ( one micro2/3rds and the other even smaller) have lenses correct for the sensors and again are supported.
    I think DXO Pro9 really needs to be tried before paying over any money! I could certainly see that it might not be to everyone's taste, excellent though it is at certain things. (e.g. RAW conversion and noise reduction). The so called trial versions are indeed full programmes and if you decide not to buy after 30 days the print function ceases to work and a watermark is put on photos you try to process.
    I did try to start this thread in a different part of the forum, but the moderators thought it was feedback on A.P. and moved it here, but we seem to have drifted off the feedback bit!!
    Good Luck.

10. PhotoEcosse

PhotoEcosse Well-Known Member

When I read the article it seemed to me that there were so many basic errors in it that the credibility of the article itself was seriously compromised.

When I then read in the "Verdict" the words highlighted by the OP, "Once you've tried it , we believe you will not want to use anything else." what really hit me was the word "we". That suggests that the opinion is the collective view of the AP editorial team, rather than of an individual, somewhat suspect, reviewer.

That is really worrying.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2014
  11. ChrisNewman

Thanks for your information.

Chris

12. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

If you use DXO to process a raw image and store the result as a DNG then do you get a linear DNG, a DNG which still is not demosaiced, a DNG that contains the raw and demosiced linear image, or anything other that might confuse us?
    Also will all the common editors handle linear DNG files?

13. Yokel

Yokel Member

Can't answer that question and I don't suppose anyone from A.P. can either. I have a feeling the guy who did the review probably did not explore the "Export" function. All I know is that Aperture (a programme that does not seem to exist in A.P.'s world) will not recognize DNG files produced by DXO Pro9 though Photoshop/Elements and Lightroom are supposed to.

14. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

On the contrary, I'd bet a fiver that Prof Bob would know if he were allowed to try the package for a short time. Also I suspect that he could show his working in a way that most of us could understand. An introduction to DNG might be a topic for a short Prof Bob article.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2014
  15. PhotoEcosse

PhotoEcosse Well-Known Member

I'll second that motion!