1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD re Gandolfi Bros.

Discussion in 'Classic Models & Marques' started by steveandthedogs, Mar 20, 2019.

1. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

2. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I see that the workshop closed on 13 October 2017, no more cameras will be made but some repairs will be carried out.

3. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

Does anybody know how many weeks or months before it's on Channel 4 or BBC4?
    I've found from experience that documentaries often have a very short retail lifespan before being sold to TV.

Interestingly, although the packaging appears to have a PG or 12 rating (it's impossible to read clearly on the web page), I can't find the DVD on the BBFC website, so I can't get the running time from there either.

4. steveandthedogs

I suspect it may be too low volume/general interest for the BBC.

S

5. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure the BBC did a programme about (or perhaps including) Gandolfi Brothers and not that long ago either.

6. steveandthedogs

I really must buy one of these new Logie Baird inventions one day...

S

peterba likes this.
  7. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

I found this originally from the BBC

peterba and steveandthedogs like this.
  8. peterba

peterba Well-Known Member

What a delight! Thanks for posting, Roger.

9. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

BBC4 or Channel 4 at 1 am in the morning? When the minority interest, but interesting stuff, is often shown.
    Especially if it was not expensive, or possibly as part of a series about photography or 19th century history.

10. RobertCoombes

RobertCoombes Well-Known Member

I met the brothers when they made a camera and stand for me in 1975. I had to wait about a year for it. Your name was added to a list and you had to telephone regularly to keep your name on the list.

11. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

I was surprised how basic their workshop was, and lack of tools that would have been available even in victorian times for doing repeat work. Jigs for cutting to size and thickness. And routing out to match parts.
    Every thing was a one off. Looks like he did not even have a basic thicknesser. Or a mechanical router or moulder, which were in common use by the late 1800's. It must have made any idea of standardisation virtually impossible.
    however his craftsmanship was superb.

when I was a student at the london school of printing and graphic art, they had more than a dozen of his cameras, both the tapered and square bellows varities, and all the plate holders matched every camera, so they must have had jigs for accurately matching them, and cutting those mating surfaces.