1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dust on the mirror

Discussion in 'Help Team' started by Solo, Apr 16, 2001.

1. Solo

Solo Well-Known Member

I have noticed that there is a little dust on the mirror of my F90X. I know that I must not touch the mirror at all, so what should I do?
    Solo

2. David Stout

David Stout Well-Known Member

Bet you don't see it in the viewfinder so why worry? If it's really keeping you awake at night, try a blower brush and give a brief puff of air - don't touch it with the brush.

David

3. Reading

Reading Well-Known Member

Why cant you touch it with the brush? Does this apply to all cameras? My old P30T never had a problem because of this - have not done it on my MZ30, should I avoid doing so?

4. Clive

Clive Well-Known Member

Blower brush is fine but NEVER used canned air - far too fierce.

5. David Stout

...but I find that holder the camister away far enough gives a blast which is far stronger than a blower brush but not sufficient to cause damage.

I never like to have physical contact with the mirror or focussing screen since it is possible to smear the dirt and make it worse - best to blow it off.

The only downside is that we blow it from the mirror to where? Further inside the camera? Towards the shutter mechanism...?

David

6. TOMPKINS

TOMPKINS Well-Known Member

Hi Solo,

David's original advice was spot on. If you can't see it in the viewfinder forget it. In future just remember the old adage, prevention is better then cure.

Regards,

Brian.

TOM

7. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

... unless you have a pellicle mirror....

Nick

8. TOMPKINS

TOMPKINS Well-Known Member

Nick,

I think you are laying yourself wide open to some pointed remark from a certain Irish gentleman. Someone who I don't immediately associate with pellicle anything.

Brian.

TOM

9. linnet9

linnet9 Well-Known Member

Brian
    It has been so peaceful I think he must be on holiday....
    Ref Solo's problem, maybe suck (vacuum) not blow??
    That leads me nicely to Helmut Newton :) I knew the name but not the work. Fabulous. "I'm not an intellectual, I just take pictures"..quote from him
    Thanks, I am going to find out more.
    Karsh - I did not know the name but the work, yes. Two good leads thanks.
    I've not been fit enough to visit the Hayward but I already see from research why David went, the old romantic. Liked your portfolio David.
    Janice
    I have not been fit enough to get to see Brassai at the Hayward, but I found enough to know why David went to the exhibition - I had already seen his portfolio-very romantic.

10. Joël Lacey

Joël Lacey Member

Mirrors are fairly robust n pressurised air terms compared with shutter blades. Most of the comments show great sense, but one thing to be aware of with dust on the mirror of an AF SLR, is that if the dust is thick enough, or causes diffraction of light passing through the half mirror behind, focus effectiveness could be affected, and the meter could start to casue the camera to overexpose as it thinks there is less light than in fact there is. You might have to have a huge thickness of dust for this to happen, but I don't think letting dust get to the point where it irritates your sense of hygiene is ever going to be good for the performance of a camera.
    Joel

Got a photo query? Try AP_HelpTeam@Hungerhill.com. You can also fax on (44)20 7681 1010

11. BigWill

BigWill Gorgeous oversensitive Nikon-loving cream puff

Excellent advice from Janice to "suck rather than blow". I shall say no more on the grounds that it might incriminate me!
    BigWill

12. David Stout

Suck? Need a good pair of lungs...

David