1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DURST M605 Enlarger

Discussion in 'Everything Film' started by jbphoto, Nov 4, 2004.

1. jbphoto

jbphoto New Member

Ive just managed to pick up a Durst B/W enlarger M605 for £52 in brand spanking nick..
    Anybody have a manual?

2. taxor

taxor Well-Known Member

Dear JB,
    I don't have a manual for an M605, but I used to own one. I currently own a Durst AC707BW, which in many respects will be similar to yours. Is it a 'proper' B&W enlarger (with condensors) or colour? Either way, unless someone has got the manual, post a message here with the info that you require. Hoping to be of some assistance, regards TAXOR.

"Time flies like an arrow.... Fruit flies prefer a banana". Jean-Paul Sartre

3. ermintrude

ermintrude Hinkypuff

You might have a chance at http://www.oldtimercameras.com/. In general it's just actual camera manuals but he does have all sorts of miscellaneous manuals too, its worth checking out anyway.

[​IMG]<font color=purple>ermx</font color=purple>

4. jbphoto

jbphoto New Member

HI
    Thanks for the reply, ok first off..
    I am pretty new to the darkroom side of photography and I am used to using the Ilford multigrade enlargers on which the grade of the paper can be set electronically.
    I am using Ilford Multigrade IV paper at the minute to learn with. With the Durst unit how do I set the grade to be used? I need to vary the grades as I print B/W from colour 35mm negs sometimes which needs a higher grade setting?
    Hope you can help,
    Many thanks
    James

5. BigWill

BigWill Gorgeous oversensitive Nikon-loving cream puff

Hi James and welcome to the forum. If you want information on setting filtration values for multigrade paper then they are available on ilford's website here:

http://www.ilford.com/html/us_english/bw.html

The document is in .PDF format and you'll need acrobat reader to be able to read it. (available as a free download <a href="http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.html" target=_new>here!<a>)

It gives filtration values for different makes of enlarger, including your Durst, for multigrade paper. I'm not familiar with your particular model enlarger but it will either have "dial in" filtration for yellow cyan and magenta filtration or a filter drawer with slide in filters which do the same thing.

I wouldn't advise making black and white prints from colour negatives unless you use special panchromatic paper which will give a fuller range of tones. Prints on Multigrade paper from colour negatives will look flat and very grainy.

"Can I print color negatives on black-and-white paper?
    Yes, you can. Normal B&W paper, however, is not panchromatic - it only responds to a narrow band of wavelengths of light. Graded paper just responds to blue light, and variable contrast paper responds to blue and green light (but the amounts of blue and green light influence the gradation of the paper). Generally speaking, printing color negs on B&W paper won't give natural-looking results.

Kodak has a panchromatic paper, Panalure, available in 3 grades. If you want to get good results printing from color negatives, you should use this paper."

BigWill

<font color=blue>I'm sailing like a driftwood on a windy bay!<font color=black>

6. jbphoto

jbphoto New Member

Ah ok things are falling into place then... just checked and the head is B/W head..not actually collected the enlarger yet..thats tommorows job..and it has filter drawer which I assume is where the filter sits. Select the filter according to Ilfords table and away we go..
    Oh and the prints from colour negs did look very flat with no contrast at all. But I was advised by the college lecturer to increase the grade setting to 3 or 4. And it should improve the contrast some what.
    Dont know didnt get chance to try it yet.
    Thanks for the help. Most helpful and Im sure I will be back with more and more questions. :)

Ah yet another twist. Spoke to the local Jessops and they have a set of Ilford multigrade filters in stock which is grade 0 - 5 I think.. size of 8.9cm x 8.9cm now will the things fit?? and are the right things to use?
    Hmmm How much is photoshop? :)

7. taxor

taxor Well-Known Member

Dear JB,
    The Ilford multigrade filters you mention will fit in the filter drawer and they are indeed the right ones to use (you could use any filter make I suppose, but Ilford need the business /img/wwwthreads/smile.gif.) They may need cutting down to the right size though. All the filters are marked with their respective grade numbers. They are simplicity itself to use. Regards TAXOR

"Time flies like an arrow.... Fruit flies prefer a banana". Jean-Paul Sartre

8. Daz

Daz Well-Known Member

regarding B W prints from colour negs. I actually had some success last year with this, after loads of experimentation. Success? well, I got some decent results, but as will says, it looks.................not as good as true B W with loads of grain and pretty flat, but still worth playing with, just don't expect anything great

9. danieldevine

danieldevine New Member

hi all im new here i have a copy the full copy of the durst m605 enlarger

10. BigWill

BigWill Gorgeous oversensitive Nikon-loving cream puff

Welcome aboard....................."Daniel?" You don't have to be mad to come in here...................................but it certainly helps! /img/wwwthreads/smile.gif

BigWill

<font color=blue>I'm sailing like a driftwood on a windy bay!<font color=black>

11. ermintrude

ermintrude Hinkypuff

A few beers does the trick too...
    (what the hell is going on???)

[​IMG]<font color=purple>ermx</font color=purple>

12. yoda2004

yoda2004 New Member

I also have a Durst M605 enlarger w no manual - could you tell me how I could get a copy from you?

Thanks

13. Rhys

Rhys Sasquatch

I have a durst m605 b&w enlarger as well, with no manual (was this an optional extra? lol) I prefer the Ilford multigrade filters that go underneath the lens, they come with a safelight filter as well (IIRC).
    Didn't realy think you need a manual for one of these, just have a good play with all the bits and pieces. make sure it comes with both condensors, and lens plates for 35mm and medium format.

<font color=purple>I got my hair cut, and got a job. Now what../img/wwwthreads/wink.gif</font color=purple>

14. mercmgl

mercmgl New Member

hello there if at all poserble i also would like a copy of the holly grail a m605 manuel if at all possable prety please with a chery on top merc

15. francisca

francisca New Member

Hi, somebody gave me a Durst M605 Enlarger, but I can't use it because it has somepart missing. I think it might be the condenser; it is just the space above the negative carrier. Does anybody know which is the name and number of the condenser for this enlarger? Like the Bimacon 80 (6x7) for the Durst M805, Lidicon 100 for Durst M370, Vegacon 100 for Durst M70. But I can't find any M605 condenser.
    franka

16. Brian

Brian Venerable Elder

In Rochester, New York.
    They should be able to put you in touch with the Chilean distributors.

Brian BSRIPN
    <a href="http://www.justmono.com"target="_new">justmono<a>

17. swisschris

swisschris New Member

HI I HAVE A M370 WORKS THE SAME I NEED A MANUAL FOR THE FILTRATION NOT SUR ABOUT THE VALUES COMPARED TO THE ILFORD SET O-5 PLEASE I NEED HELP OR CAN SOMEONE EMAIL ME A MANUAL THANKS