1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dunstanburgh Castle, September

Discussion in 'Appraisal Gallery' started by Jack D3200, Jan 13, 2019.

1. Jack D3200

Jack D3200 Well-Known Member

Excellent conditions when we arrived. Taken on a Canon 5D Mk1, 28mm -105mm lens. 1/2000th at f10 Dunstanburgh Castle. October.jpg

2. Knotty

Knotty In the Stop Bath

Hi Jack. What iso was it? Theres a lot of noise in the sky.

3. Jack D3200

Hi, it was 100
    Jack

4. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

2,000th at f10? Must have been quite underexposed and you lightened it?

5. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I hadn't noticed that. Must have some very bright sky in the original frame. The 5D was quite clean at 100 ISO even if lifted a couple of stops. Maybe it is an "added grain" conversion profile?

6. Jack D3200

It was very very bright, but I did process it to darken the sky and I have noticed before when cutting the blue slider that it can cause noise.

7. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

that would explain it. I find the same thing - over enthusiastic darkening of the sky does tend to cause artefacts and odd tonal banding. Sometimes it's possible to smooth it out if it's not too far gone but usually I find I have to back it off a fair bit.

If you want really dark sky it's better point away from the sun rather than toward it.

8. caledonia84

caledonia84 Well-Known Member

I think the time of day kills it, this seams to be a popular location for landscape photography and as such there's some absolutely amazing shots out there. You really need good light in a location like this